Advanced search

Whats this board type under the plaster? (Pic included)

(22 Posts)
ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 11:22:53

We've started the mammoth task of redoing the 2nd bedroom in our 1937 semi. DH has been stripping the wallpaper and today lots of plaster came off and there's this board underneath.

What is it and How do we treat it? Plaster back over or other options?

Room is such a nightmare already. We also have to get a crumbling artex corner tested for asbestos.

ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 11:23:51

Whoops! Forgot pic!

insancerre Sun 17-Jul-16 11:25:22

Is that not just plasterboard?

ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 11:29:01

Is it? DH didn't think so but he's no DIY expert!

BennyTheBall Sun 17-Jul-16 11:30:17

It's plasterboard!

ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 11:32:08

Awesome! Thanks everyone! Does that mean the wall has been redone since the house was built or would it be original? (Interior wall if that helps)

insancerre Sun 17-Jul-16 11:35:22

It's not original
It's been redone
Obviously not very well for the plaster to be coming off again

ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 11:52:01

Yeah, it's just a very thin layer under two layers of wallpaper.

The whole room is a giant crap-fest. The plaster has come away under the window corner entirely, exposing the brick.

cathyandclaire Sun 17-Jul-16 11:56:42

Is it definitely not asbestos? The first pic looks a little silvery and like the asbestos ( not the particularly dangerous sort apparently) we had in our house. However it could be the picture, the second pic looks more peachy and like plasterboard.

cathyandclaire Sun 17-Jul-16 11:57:34

Looking again on computer, it's not grey or silvery is it? So probs not.

ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 12:10:24

Yeah, it's grey but a warm not-shiny sort of beigy-grey.

ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 12:11:30

The plasterboard in the second pic is definitely a different type - more like what we'd call drywall in the US.

ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 12:16:05

And then some of the plaster has this weird net enmeshed in it! confused

cathyandclaire Sun 17-Jul-16 12:19:27

Ours looked a bit like this, although a bit grubbier and older.

ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 13:36:07

I literally have no idea whether it's asbestos or not - but I hope not as DH has had DD helping him! shock

PigletJohn Sun 17-Jul-16 13:36:17

I was wondering if you used a steam stripper? The heat will make plaster blow away from the wall, if the steamer is held in one place.

Skimming onto plasterboard is quite normal. It is very difficult for an amateur to replaster more than a small patch. If you are getting a plasterer in, make sure you've taken off all the loose stuff and get it all done in one visit.

Plasterboard usually has a rather rough, absorbent papery surface, grey or white, but sometimes it is smooth creamy paper that you can paint (if you have low standards).

Your window section has obviously been repaired at least once. I have a feeling that it is a bay window with poor foundations, making a bid for freedom and trying to gain independence from the house.

Daffodil90 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:45:18

The weird net stuff is what they put over the join between boards to help the skim stick to it evenly

ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 14:03:25

No steamer, just tearing it off.

The window isn't really a bay, it's got walls beneath all the way around, but it does turn a corner. We're having the windows replaced anyways as they only turn inwards, really irritating.

DH is desperate to have a go at plastering, while I'm inclined to say "are you fucking kidding me?" We have agreed to get a plasterer in to consult at least!

Thanks so far everyone for helping me solve the mysteries of English houses!

insancerre Sun 17-Jul-16 14:08:25

Get a proper plasterer in
It's not as easy as it looks

PigletJohn Sun 17-Jul-16 16:38:38

"No steamer, just tearing it off."

You did soak it with water to soften the paste, first?

ButtonLoon Sun 17-Jul-16 17:41:02

It wasn't ME! facepalm I'm going to go remind DH of that step... And I'm not letting him do any more diy.

engineersthumb Sun 17-Jul-16 22:45:48

That first picture looks somewhat like cement bound asbestos. If it is hard and only 3-5mm thick then it could be an asbestos based board. If it is soft / paper covered then it's likley plaster board. I've never seen asbestos used in quite this way though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now