Advanced search

Water Softener questions

(3 Posts)
StillRunningWithScissors Sat 16-Jul-16 13:14:39

Have done a search and read some helpful things, and very interested in installing a softener when we do building works to extend/renovate our kitchen.

My husband isn't fully convinced, and has some questions I hope can be answered here:

- does a softener need a specialist to install, or is it something a plumber can do when doing the rest of the plumbing work?

- what would a unit cost? Is it worth going to a local supplier, or buy at a big box store etc?

- running a separate drinking tap in the kitchen. I know that it's fine to use the softened water for teeth brushing etc. but not a fan of the taste of it. Would this increase the cost dramatically?

- will it restrict the flow at all to the boiler etc.

- our water comes in through the understairs cupboard (which we need to kneel down to access), so probably not an ideal spot, is moving the plumbing coming in an option/crazy in terms of cost (we will be having major building works done, so possibly not too crazy)

- will it cost a good deal more to wait until after the building works and fit it retro-actively?

- what are the benefits that could sway someone who isn't convinced to spend the money yet?

If you got through all of that, any/all replies are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

PigletJohn Sat 16-Jul-16 13:47:58

it's almost exactly as easy as plumbing in a washing machine for the first time (including fitting valves and possibly extending pipes). A plumber can do it. You need a drain as well as the waterpipes, and will be carrying salt to it in blocks or sacks, so need good access, also preferably an external wall for the overflow pipe. Any spilled salt is very corrosive so have an impervious flooring you can sweep and mop. Some people put them in the kitchen. They are a bit big to go under the sink but would go in a corner if you can e.g. slide out the dishwasher for access. Put it on the floor, not a cupboard shelf due to great weight when full.

Look for a local supplier near you. Phone and ask "do you repair water softeners?" If answer is no, try another. You can get a cheap one from a shed but will probably be unable to get it repaired when necessary. Local companies should also deliver salt (don't carry it in your car. Look inside the back of the delivery can to see why).

If you have a combi boiler or an unvented cylinder, look for one with larger hoses and valves, which will reduce the flow less.

StillRunningWithScissors Sat 16-Jul-16 18:12:42

Thanks PigletJohn!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now