Talk

Advanced search

Quartz worktop on island

(12 Posts)
Stumbleine Fri 15-Jul-16 14:15:52

There will be an overhang to allow for bar stools on one side; but can the other side (and ends) be completely flush with the units?

wowfudge Fri 15-Jul-16 14:36:20

I wouldn't have it completely flush because when you wipe it down you can't catch crumbs, etc if you can't get your hand between the worktop and the cupboard - you end up with bits on the floor. A slight overhang is preferable. Also means anyone passing is less likely to catch themselves on the knobs or handles, if you have them.

Ntinyn Fri 15-Jul-16 15:30:09

Great point about crumb catching wowfudge. I was planning on having my worktop flush. My kitchen is handleless though.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 15-Jul-16 16:03:25

I think flush is best - gives a more contemporary finish.

wowfudge Fri 15-Jul-16 16:47:16

I prefer practical when it comes to kitchens and bathrooms. It doesn't have to be by much that it overhangs.

Stumbleine Fri 15-Jul-16 17:22:13

Thanks for thoughts. We are having handles. I'm just trying to maximise the clearance we have between opposite worktops/walkways, and the units I have planned are ending up coming up to the maximum total island dimensions I was hoping for!

PigletJohn Sat 16-Jul-16 23:48:25

Are they Ikea units? British units are usually a bit shallower, to allow space for cables and pipes.

Stumbleine Sun 17-Jul-16 07:38:26

PigletJohn - no they're Innova. It's more the width of units (so worktop on island ends) to be honest i.e. the number of units I am putting in side by side to make up the island.

PigletJohn Sun 17-Jul-16 12:58:00

have you bought/ordered the units yet? What widths is the island made up of?

Stumbleine Sun 17-Jul-16 13:29:23

Ordering asap. I have a 450; x2 600 and a 300 unit planned. Allowing for 18mm for one end panel (don't need one on the other end) I make that 1968mm all together. If I have 2m of worktop that would only leave 32mm for overhang in total. Does that sound about right to you?

PigletJohn Sun 17-Jul-16 13:44:41

sounds too small. I might see how it looks flush at one end and 32mm at the other.

Also, I'd want an 800 or a 1000 pan drawer unit if it was me. They are so incredibly better than cupboards.

BTW on the back of the units under an island or peninsular, you can have opening doors if you like. I did that with a peninsular and had narrow shelves for bottles and glasses, and one for cookbooks. The backs and ends always need something on them, and IMO doors look better than décor panels, which are curiously expensive.

Normally, whatever goes into the back of a kitchen unit will disappear for ever. Except kittens.

Stumbleine Sun 17-Jul-16 14:01:02

Thanks. Good idea to have 32mm at one end. That would work well for the 'kitchen' end! Plus the 300 at the other end is open end corner shelving.

Re pan drawers - the two 600s are actually pan drawers. We plan to have a decor end panel along the back of the unit run where we will be having bar stools overhang side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now