Advanced search

WDYD when you've completed and vendors are still in?

(452 Posts)
Lemonwords Fri 15-Jul-16 09:16:22

So we've finally completed on our property. We're waiting to get the keys but vendors are saying there is an issue with their removal service and can't move out today. Solicitor says they have to. They say they can't. Literally what do you do?

ChicRock Fri 15-Jul-16 09:17:51

So are you there now, outside your new home with all your stuff?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 15-Jul-16 09:18:27

As in their removal firm hasn't turned up pr has cancelled on them?! Nightmare! They'll never be able to get another one same day! I bet they are stressed to high heaven! sad

Ifailed Fri 15-Jul-16 09:19:44

you have every right to take possession, however I would be looking to my solicitor to talk to them and sort this out, its what you are paying them for.

Ifailed Fri 15-Jul-16 09:21:17

BTW, have you mentioned this to your removal people, they might be able to help out ("anyone fancy some overtime?")

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 15-Jul-16 09:21:18

They need to get out. Or they cover your storage costs and hotel bills. They may be able to get a short notice removal company but it will cost them. However, that's not your problem.

titchy Fri 15-Jul-16 09:22:03

Well technically they're trespassing so police? Or at least the threat of police.

Runningupthathill82 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:24:21

Argh!! They have to move out though. It's your house now.

You'd be well within your rights just to order them to remove their property now, hire a man with a van and get it into storage

Or. This depends on the size of the house, but just as a gesture of goodwill, can you suggest they store everything in one room (preferably attic/cellar!) and it can wait there til the removal people come tomorrow/Monday? They can decamp to a travelodge/friends house/whatever in the meantime.

I speak as someone who was just in a similar-ish situation to your vendors. We ended up drinking wine in a Premier Inn to try and deal with the stress!

Lemonwords Fri 15-Jul-16 09:24:21

We're in with in laws and weren't planning on moving in today anyway so we can't loan them our removal van as we don't have one booked.

Is it ok to just ask them to pay us for the day they are in? I am worried they will just stay for ages! We actually completed yesterday but it was so late in the day we agreed this morning. Still no keys....

Ticklethosetoes Fri 15-Jul-16 09:24:24

What's your situation?
Can you sit tight and they "rent" for the weekend?

Lemonwords Fri 15-Jul-16 09:25:29

They do have a young family and I can imagine they are stressed but I am literally thinking worse case scenario.

Runningupthathill82 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:26:18

I'm sure that in all the forms you have, they'll have signed something guaranteeing "vacant possession" on completion. Legally they just have to get out. It's up to you if you make any allowances. I wouldn't expect you'll get a shiny clean house though

Lemonwords Fri 15-Jul-16 09:27:13

Yep I am happy for them to stay until next week but I don't know if this is "legal" - if they do and then don't go on Monday where does it stand then? We have builders booked to start work....

Hobbes8 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:27:47

I'd seek advice from your solicitors. The problem with taking money from them is they become your tenants. They should have to pay fines anyway, but go via solicitors to make sure you are covered.

ChicRock Fri 15-Jul-16 09:27:58

You actually completed yesterday! Well in that case I'd be telling them they need to get out today and go stay in a hotel.

Peeporeader Fri 15-Jul-16 09:28:52

Honestly I would get them out. Friend of mine had this situation and the sellers kept pissing about and saying "we'll move tomorrow". Two weeks in the end. It's not their property. Its first thing, they'll have to find a van and deal with it.

AnnPerkins Fri 15-Jul-16 09:28:56

How lucky that you're not waiting to move in today. That happened to my friends, they turned up with their removal lorry and the vendors hadn't even started packing. Their solicitor finally got them out that evening but the place was an awful mess.

Everyone gets stressed when moving house, it's not your problem. Get your solicitor to threaten them with costs for every day they overstay to focus their minds a bit.

Ticklethosetoes Fri 15-Jul-16 09:28:57

Cross post. I have heard of it before, where someone's charged them to stay. I've also seen a chain get stuck and someone allowing them to move in before completion.

But they've had a night of goodwill, they can potentially hire a van today for £40. Do you know where they are meant to be going? That might help you judge if they are taking the piss or not

Scarydinosaurs Fri 15-Jul-16 09:29:40

I would make my decision completely based on the reason for their problem- why can't they move today? What is their specific problem with the moving company?

They could hire a van today and do it.

LIZS Fri 15-Jul-16 09:30:12

It would be up to you to instruct your solicitor if you were willing to let them stay temporarily at a rent, but they'd need to pick up the charges for setting up any contract at very least. Maybe they could hire a self drive van and move themselves. Legally they must have agreed to vacant possession and have already breeched that hmm could you trust them to get out on time were you to agree, given their planning hasn't worked this time?

Peeporeader Fri 15-Jul-16 09:30:30

I wouldn't go pissing about with rental contracts or any of that. You could well be getting into shaky legal territory/mortgage issues.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Fri 15-Jul-16 09:30:33

They have to go. Worst case scenario here, but what if they injure themselves, they could sue you. What if the house burns down, would you insurance cover it?

SoupDragon Fri 15-Jul-16 09:32:10

Well technically they're trespassing so police? Or at least the threat of police.


Runningupthathill82 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:32:45

What Madame said. They have to move out,now. I'd let them leave some furniture temporarily, if they had no other choice, but they themselves have to go. What if they burn down the house by accident?! Unlikely, but possible. Be firm.

AnthonyPandy Fri 15-Jul-16 09:33:03

Whatever you do, do it through solicitors for legal reasons and insurance purposes. And get them involved now so they can get cracking before they shut for the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now