Talk

Advanced search

Washing machine won't pump water out - help!

(19 Posts)
Thecatgotmytongue Wed 13-Jul-16 23:23:49

I've just moved house, a builder sorting out some stuff in the house connected it for me, it works until it needs to empty. Then the water just stays in the machine and it shows error code 03. It's a Candy Grando.

I've looked online to trouble shoot; I've cleared the filter (flooding the kitchen in the process because the filter is too low to put a bowl underneath to catch the water angry ), the outlet hose is new ...

Anyone have any ideas about what I can do? I'm trying to find an engineer, but can't really afford one ... I know there's a MNetter who knows about these things ... Sorry, can't remember your name blush

TIA

FizzyMakeFeelNice Wed 13-Jul-16 23:36:42

After we moved we had the same problem. Turns out the pipe under the sink that the washers water pipe connects to had been plugged with a wodge of cling film to stop it leaking when the kitchen tap was turned on. Is that something you have checked?

FizzyMakeFeelNice Wed 13-Jul-16 23:38:00

Sorry, waste pipe, not water pipe DYAC!

Thecatgotmytongue Wed 13-Jul-16 23:56:01

No I haven't checked that, thanks, I'll have a look. It is leaking a little under the sink, but the builder used a new connector so not sure what's going on ... confused

Coconutty Thu 14-Jul-16 06:21:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ihearttea Thu 14-Jul-16 06:28:14

I had exactly the same issue recently. I drained the machine and cleared the filter but it did the same thing again. I got someone round to have a look and it ended up being a pen lid jammed in the pump.

PigletJohn Thu 14-Jul-16 09:06:24

Take the hose off the waste connector under the sink.

If you lower the end of the hose slowly towards a nucket, water will run out under gravity even if the pump has failed, but not if the hose has blocked.

Peer into the fitting under the sink. There is probably a plastic spigot that should have the end cut off. Take a photo for us to look at.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 14-Jul-16 09:12:48

Our washing machine did that. I took the outlet hose out of the drain pipe and put it in the sink and it drained ok then so I deduced that the blockage was likely to be in the drain pipe which I cleaned and so far it is happy. The instructions said that it won't drain if there is a blockage in the drain pipe, though have no idea how washing machine figured that one out!

Thecatgotmytongue Thu 14-Jul-16 11:00:07

Thank you! As soon as I get in I'll try that and report back.

Thecatgotmytongue Sat 16-Jul-16 04:12:13

I tried the above - the hose isn't blocked, it wouldn't drain the machine when I unscrewed the outlet pipe.

The machine isn't making a pumping noise when on drain mode. Does that mean the pump has broken?? It was fine before the move.

Anticyclone Sat 16-Jul-16 07:54:48

This literally happened to me 2 days ago. Take the pump filter back off, can you see the blades of the pump impeller? Try and turn it with your fingers (make sure machine is turned off!). Ours was jammed with a bit of plastic. I guessed as I could hear this low humming noise when the machine should have been draining, it was the pump motor straining to turn the impeller but failing as it was jammed.

I also hear you about flooding the kitchen!

Thecatgotmytongue Sat 16-Jul-16 11:48:06

Thanks anti I'll do that - just inside the filter?

Anticyclone Sat 16-Jul-16 13:09:23

Yes look down the hole that the filter comes out of and you should see the blades, ours had 3.

PS, draining tip, stack a bit of wood under the front of the machine so it's tipped back, then you can fit a larger bowl underneath to catch the water!

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Sat 16-Jul-16 13:14:44

My son had this in his flat. Turned out the push connector attached to the sink drain thing was new and was Sealed at one end and this wasn't immediately obvious until we took it off. A sharp kitchen knife cut a hole in the end

Thecatgotmytongue Sat 16-Jul-16 16:37:56

I don't think the connector is new, it doesn't look blocked.

I'll check the pump, thanks

Thecatgotmytongue Sat 16-Jul-16 20:26:39

I think you were right ... I checked the pump, it turned ok ... Took the outlet apart, it WAS a new part, sealed at the end! Just trying it now smile

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Sat 16-Jul-16 20:36:13

Excellent! It took me 3 hours to figure out my sons. It's well hidden isn't it!

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Sat 16-Jul-16 20:38:00

I hacked the end off with kitchen knife using it as a saw smile

Thecatgotmytongue Sat 16-Jul-16 22:45:01

Yes, same ... All I had was a kitchen knife to saw the end off! Seems to be working now ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now