Talk

Advanced search

Exposed brick wall - skirting board?

(4 Posts)
lollypoppy123 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:20:09

We are having one wall of exposed brick. The other walls will all have skirting. Should the brick one have skirting too? Is skirting aesthetic only or does it serve a function?

lalalonglegs Mon 11-Jul-16 21:30:22

It serves the function of covering the raggedy edge of the plastering at the bottom of a wall and the scraggy ends of floorboards but if you're not having plaster and going for an industrial look, it would look a bit strange to put skirting up (maybe a plain board but then it wouldn't match the rest of the room I suppose). Occasionally you'll find there are wiring conduits etc hidden behind skirting but not very often.

user1468157973 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:41:25

I'd have skirting board, but only if I was going to paint it all grey, or something industrial looking in keeping with the wall. Otherwise, I'd not have it.

lollypoppy123 Mon 11-Jul-16 22:07:47

There are no conduits etc but there is a narrow expansion gap that needs something so that's the main reason I'm considering the skirting boards. Painting them grey would work though. The brick is red but there are grey bits through it so the skirting board won't be such a huge contrast if painted grey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now