Giant Hogweed in Rented Property

(10 Posts)
Verbena37 Thu 07-Jul-16 18:51:15

Hi,
My sister and her young family privately rent a family home but a few weeks ago, whilst pruning some plants, her and two of the children (5 & 7) were pruning giant hogweed without knowing it was that!

They suffered quite bad burns and still have serious scarring weeks later and one nephew had to have his burns dressed for a week.
Once they realised what it was they reported it to the letting agents who said it was up to them to get rid of it. They showed very little warmth and said my sister should put weed killer on it.

They obviously haven't read up on how invasive it is and how hard it is to get rid of it (it has to have multiple applications over a period of months and years). I'm really worried they'll get hurt again and even though my sister pruned it until there was nothing left, it's shot up again to about a foot high.

She called the landlord but he is being really tricky about it, saying she should take the advice from the letting agent.....which wasn't helpful.

Are there any landlords out there who know whether this is the obligation of the landlord?
I believe it is because they know about something that was already in the property garden before my sister rented it and now they know, they have a duty of care to remove it properly.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Thu 07-Jul-16 18:55:25

Was there another thread about this yesterday? It might be helpful?

Verbena37 Thu 07-Jul-16 19:23:21

Was there?
Oh, not sure, I'll look.

Verbena37 Thu 07-Jul-16 19:26:42

I've just searched but nothing from yesterday that I can find....any idea which topic it was in mary?

specialsubject Thu 07-Jul-16 21:06:45

The thread may be titled Japanese knotweed which is what that op thought it was. I've never got the mn search engine to work though.

According to the tenancy agreement, who maintains the garden?

specialsubject Thu 07-Jul-16 21:08:24

PS decent glyphosphate weedkiller and proper protection needed. Not stupid flowery ladies gloves and not a job for kids .

Verbena37 Thu 07-Jul-16 21:12:48

Even though the garden agreement may say that they as tenants upkeep the garden, which I'm sure it will do, the landlord has had a gardener remove a dangerous tree last year so they didn't expect her to do that. That was a potential danger and so they took action.

I don't see the difference with the hogweed.

mypropertea Thu 07-Jul-16 21:21:23

If there was a danger like this that was in the house the land lord would not hesitate to remove it on health and safety grounds. I think there for I would talk to a solicitor, the CAB or, if your in a union at work then maybe there legal department.

I say this as a land lord.

You probably know this but it is very important they stay out the sun after the wounds have healed. Poor little loves.

MimsyPimsy Thu 07-Jul-16 22:36:40

When we had it, it really wasn't that difficult to get rid of - unlike Japanese knotweed. I just cut it down and dug up the root, then burnt it, but was careful to wear gloves and treated it with care. The danger is in the sap, not in it being difficult to remove, I think. It never came back.

Awful for the children, and can't believe the agent wasn't more sympathetic. Now you know the danger, though, I don't think it's that hard to control, but you don't want to let it seed.

Verbena37 Thu 07-Jul-16 23:29:01

Thank you all.
The thing is, it hasn't had flowers and apart from when they first moved in, wasn't very giant....because they keep cut it back every year. I guess it's just been luck that nobody has been hurt before.

I'll tell her how you got it out and see what she says.

The letting agent has a gardener so they're being really rubbish being so unhelpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now