A thread for those who just CAN'T sell their house

(8 Posts)
BeadyEyedPeas Thu 07-Jul-16 11:16:26

We had buyers but they pulled out a while ago.
We've reduced the price, re-done the photos, decluttered but we just aren't getting the viewers.
I'm presuming this is partly because Brexit has scared the pants off a lot of buyers who have now decided to either not move or wait and see what happens.
Anyone else who could just SCREAM with frustration at the whole situation?
<bangs ahead against wall>

Herschellmum Thu 07-Jul-16 11:41:23

Me me me ... House went up on day of the vote! Argh! Only had one viewer. 😭

We Anne reduced the price from 215,000 to 200,000 in less than 2 weeks! I desperate to sell as we need to get my special needs child into a school more able to meet his needs, I'm just not sure what to do.

It's a big big house, with 5 bedrooms and big rooms, high ceilings etc ... But has no garden. I know that will be a factor for me getting interest but I seriously didn't expect it to be this bad!

Hugs to you, hope you get some interest soon. I am getting really peeved off with all the scaremongering the media are doing, house prices will be fine if people didn't keep panicking!

BeadyEyedPeas Thu 07-Jul-16 11:59:58

Agreed. I've read a few articles which aren't quite so frightening but clearly any potential buyers are not reading the same ones sad.

Our house is quite rural and we've had a few people say it is too difficult for them to get to work/kids to schools. Nothing we can do about that though. The upside is that it is quiet and has great views.

This isn't the first time the economy has buggered up a house move for us and it's the frustration about not being able to do anything which is awful. We've found a place to buy too which makes everything worse because we don't want to lose that. Gah.

Good luck to you too! I think the annoying thing is there is nothing we CAN do, price is key but you have to be sensible about it and not go rock bottom and price yourself out of your onwards purchase. Hopefully people will start looking at houses again soon.

jennyj123 Thu 07-Jul-16 12:36:22

There is something you can do - REDUCE the price until you get an offer. It is tricky if you are in a chain but reducing the price is the only way of getting offers. I know someone at work who has just reduced from £260k to £230k in a week after the vote and will keep cutting price until it is sold. He is motivated to sell but reckons things will be way worse at the end of the year, this summer really is the opportunity to get out before winter sets in and the redundancies starting happening. The economy was already slowing down before Brexit and now things are speeding up. Good luck.

Herschellmum Thu 07-Jul-16 13:23:37

Thanks, yes, totally. We only dropped it Tuesday but my husband is already talking about dropping it again. I hate feeling so powerless. We have have seen 2 houses we really wanted but both have sold, but at this point I just want to sell. I am happy enough to rent for 6 months if I can sell, i would rather be coming in from a stronger position rather than jeopardise the sale.

jennyj123 Thu 07-Jul-16 14:57:54

Sounds like a good plan to rent for a while, you will be in a great position being chain free. All the best,

BeadyEyedPeas Thu 07-Jul-16 15:34:46

We've just reduced our price too (this week and by a decent chunk) - we won't be dropping it again very quickly.

SquinkiesRule Fri 08-Jul-16 17:58:20

Don't give up hope, we had our house ready to sell and were going to call the agent to come and take pictures and woke up to find that The Iraq war had started (we were in the US) Houses in our neighborhood went from selling in a week to us taking 6 months to sell with a reduced price. But it'll sell eventually even with a lower price.
Second time we were getting ready to sell was in 2007, we put it off and sold in 2013 instead.
Our timing is apparently a bit off for some reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now