Talk

Advanced search

Would you sell to someone you didn't like?

(20 Posts)
PurpleDaisies Wed 06-Jul-16 16:24:51

We're trying to sell our house at the moment having had a buyer and lost them to mortgage problems.

Brexit meant there was almost no interest when we went on the market but all of a sudden we've got four viewings, the first of which was today. Cash buyer who said he was interested and would very likely be making an offer but the only issue is I really disliked him. Constant moaning about how crap the boiler is and how he'd change almost everything about the house. He was incredibly patronising and kept calling me "dear" as if I was twelve (I'm thirty four).

I'm really hoping we get further offers but if he's the only one I wonder if we might have to sell to him anyway. Anyone any experience of either refusing to sell to someone they really didn't like or biting the bullet and going ahead anyway?

toadgirl Wed 06-Jul-16 16:26:09

I wouldn't mind. Especially if the market is difficult for sellers.

Take the guy's money. At least listening to him whingeing will have been worth it grin

dylsmimi Wed 06-Jul-16 16:28:48

With our buyer he seemed ok at the start but by the end and him going back on all his 'promises' and costing is loads of delays almost loosing us the house we hated him!
If we had been in a position to pull out and tell him to fuck off we would have but he had is over a barrel and knew it!
Anyway sorry long way to say you never know how people will turn out, depends on how desperate you are to move
The only thing that would worry me is if he wants to change a lot he may be wanting a big chunk knocked off the price

bombayflambe Wed 06-Jul-16 16:30:41

He's a cash buyer who has gone round your house insulting everything so he can make a ridiculously low offer.
Whether or not you take the offer is up to you, but don't be too swayed by his manner if it was just a trick.

Heratnumber7 Wed 06-Jul-16 16:31:33

Yes of course I'd take the money from someone I don't like.
What do you care what he does with the house once you've left it?

YesYABU Wed 06-Jul-16 16:33:28

I sold previous house to a complete twat of a woman who came to view nearly 10 times at stupid hours so I had to do all the viewings. She was cash buyer and offered full asking at her first viewing but kept coming back to look.

She also insisted I help to measure both my own existing furniture and her where her own furniture might fit into the rooms. This got tedious, believe me! She was over 50 so not her first house and not due to inexperience.

I was polite, sucked it up and took the cash.

bonjovigirl Wed 06-Jul-16 16:33:48

agree with toadgirl, would just take his money. Cash offer in this market is worth something.

However would definitely judge viewers who are impolite, difficult, patronising as you described - I'd be nervous that they might be an absolute pain through conveyancing or gazunder at last minute.

I refused to negotiate once with a buyer who was all positive during the viewing and then made a low offer citing how much they disliked several aspects of the property- just felt so disingenuous that I didn't trust them. Buyers who are being shown round by the vendor should think about how they come across.

Arfarfanarf Wed 06-Jul-16 16:34:10

Yes. I'd be selling it to them not moving in with them grin

give me the money, I'm out of here. So long, y'bastard.

I just wouldn't say yes to any price reduction he wanted. Probably. Unless I really needed to sell.

If he was a total twat I absolutely would not take up a floorboard and drop half a dozen kippers down there the day I moved out.

VulcanWoman Wed 06-Jul-16 16:36:31

I wouldn't give him any discount what so ever, in fact I'd put the price up, love it or leave it grin

VulcanWoman Wed 06-Jul-16 16:38:09

I second the kipper idea.

SunnySomer Wed 06-Jul-16 16:40:01

I've done it. The selling process was horrific (she kept trying to niggle £100 off here and there, she delayed loads of stuff and was generally totally awkward), but we had a deadline by which we had to move so just sucked it up. Didn't give her money off - just listened to her carping.
I still feel a bit guilty about what I've inflicted on the neighbours tbh.

Jeremysfavouriteaunt Wed 06-Jul-16 16:40:08

I cut my nose off to spite my face and turned down a higher than asking price offer from an investment buyer, selling instead to a first time buyer.
It was silly really but I didn't want it to be rented out.

PurpleDaisies Wed 06-Jul-16 16:47:40

Interesting! Like the kipper idea..,

herat I'm already concerned that he'd be an arse during the buying process. And we loved our house, I'd much prefer to sell it to someone who at least vaguely seemed to like it.

I've just shown another couple round who really seemed to like it. We'll have to see what offers come along and there are still two more viewings to go.

Thanks for all the responses.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 06-Jul-16 17:26:30

The single best piece of house selling advice I was ever given was 'this is not personal it is not about you or your family view it is entirely a financial transaction you are not selling your memories, but financing new ones'.

Qwebec Wed 06-Jul-16 17:47:29

I know two people who got their house even if their offer was lower than an other because the owners liked them better. The sellers wanted the transaction to go smoothly and they wanted the next owners to enjoy the home as much as they did.

ZaraW Wed 06-Jul-16 17:54:45

I sold my flat recently to someone who made an insulating offer she increased it slightly but still way below asking price I didn't have a choice as the market is depressed. However, the service charges are outrageous over 2K a year for small one bed flat and will only increase as it's a listed building and the managing agents are incompetent and crooks. Good luck to her it's no longer my problem.

Herschellmum Thu 07-Jul-16 11:44:46

The main point here is cash buyer. Grit your teeth and a cost his offer. Just don't leave him a bottle of wine when your move.

SquinkiesRule Fri 08-Jul-16 18:02:54

Our buyer was a pain in the arse, But she was nice enough to let us stay on for a week after closing as we were moving countries, she even refused some rent money. So we left her some pieces of furniture that she said she wanted if we were selling them, we gave them to her.

dudsville Fri 08-Jul-16 19:25:53

Hm, I had a choice of buyers and chose the ones I didn't know as the ones I knew I thought they wouldn't get on so well with my lovely neighbours! In the end the ones that bought haven't got on so well with my old neighbours!

PurpleDaisies Fri 08-Jul-16 20:03:01

At the moment it's moot because he hasn't made an offer...

We've got an offer from a chain free person who will use it as a rental property, but not high enough to make our purchase work. We've got another viewing tomorrow.

I am now ready to sacrifice my principles for enough money to get on and move!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now