Talk

Advanced search

extension costs

(3 Posts)
Miaculpa Wed 06-Jul-16 14:42:24

hi, was wondering if anyone had any insight into build costs for extensions in the South East (surrey to be exact).

Am looking at adding a rear extension to my property, likely dimensions 7m x 7m. Does anyone have any idea of the build cost per square meter these days?

I am hearing disturbing reports around my neighbourhood that the blaance between extending and moving has tipped and that extending is now the more expensive option.

Many thanks,

whois Wed 06-Jul-16 14:54:23

I am hearing disturbing reports around my neighbourhood that the blaance between extending and moving has tipped and that extending is now the more expensive option.

That shouldn't be the case. If it is the market is not operating efficiently and will adjust.

Moving you need to buy the land and the existing building essentially. To extend you already own the land and just need to pay for the building. If that is more expensive than moving to somewhere already extended then builders are going to find themselves going out of business.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 06-Jul-16 15:06:51

Not SE but probably on a par (or more). I think it really depends on what you're expecting when you ask for numbers. Even if you say "basic shell" costs, it can vary so much with whether plumbing (for new bathroom / utility will be included), how extensive electrics will be, whether you're having new windows and doors (and if so, what kind), whether it includes flooring etc.

We're looking at close to £2k per square metre inclusive of VAT. That includes windows, plumbing for a new ensuite, new electrics for extension with about 8 spotlights, 4 reasonably large windows, one velux and a tiny window. It also includes 2 radiators and 1 internal door.

Kitchen, flooring, under floor heating, bi-fold doors, bathroom furniture and fitting of all those is extra. Tiles & tiling all extra. New drive will be extra too if we have any money left.

Ours is double storey which usually works out cheaper than a single storey.

Its still cheaper here than moving, simply because property prices have increased so much since we bought, but the jump from a 3 bed (what we have at the moment) to a 4 bed is just beyond our means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now