Talk

Advanced search

FTB - House viewing

(10 Posts)
WheresLarry Wed 06-Jul-16 12:01:33

Me and DW are going to view our first ever property as FTB. Any tips on things to look out for or questions to ask?

I believe the current owner is showing us around, is this better than an estate agent showing us around?

Any adice and tips appreciated.

PurpleDaisies Wed 06-Jul-16 16:16:05

My top tip is be really interested in the house and say how much you like it (even if you don't!). I've just had a real twit come and view ours-unless he's the only offer there's no way I'm selling to him because he just moaned the whole time about everything he wanted to change and everything he didn't like.

Ask about neighbours, local shops, when any extensions etc were done, electrics and the boiler.

To be honest, if it's your first visit it doesn't matter too much-see if you love the house and you can ask anything you've forgotten about at a later viewing or through the estate agent.

TeaBelle Wed 06-Jul-16 16:19:55

This is going to be the most money you ever spend - it's a business transaction. Be polite but don't let politeness get in the way- ask to open cupboards etc if you want. Our kitchen had new doors and looked beautiful. We didn't bother looking deeper only to discover after purchase that every cupboard and drawer is broken.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Wed 06-Jul-16 16:28:56

Be confident. You're the one with the power.

Open cupboard doors, check shower and washbasin taps. Seriously.

Be neutral, or slightly positive. Don't be over enthused or even negative.

I was such a walkover when we first started looking, our agents insisted on showing us houses we clearly knew we wouldn't want. I should have said no instead of e.g. Walking politely around a large house 'needing tlc' when we wanted a small no-work ready-to-go 1 bed flat.

bonjovigirl Wed 06-Jul-16 16:40:33

As PurpleDaisies mentioned, take advantage of being shown around by the vendor- find out about why they are selling, neighbours, parking, local amenities (shops, playgrounds, post office) that an estate agent might not be able to really tell you. Also can't hurt to sell yourself to the vendor a little too by being friendly and positive. If they do have a few offers down the line might help you get picked.

whois Wed 06-Jul-16 17:01:41

Do:
Open cupboards in kitchen and other built in storage
Flush the toilet
Check the shower and taps. No one wants a rubbish shower.
Have a good hard look around for signs of damp
Be polite, friendly, normal - it's a financial transaction but rapport helps. You want to be seen as easy to deal with.

Don't
Waste their time - if you hate it straight away don't spend 45 mins going round poking into every cupboard.

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 06-Jul-16 17:03:21

Check the lights, check the water pressure in the shower and taps (and that it runs hot) check the boiler and ask about services - all this stuff you want to know before you spend money on conveyancing!!

mineofuselessinformation Wed 06-Jul-16 17:11:49

Make sure you look around lots of other houses as well. (I viewed 9 when I was buying).
Don't be afraid to go back for a second viewing, but only if you are very serious as its not fair to the vendors otherwise.

WheresLarry Wed 06-Jul-16 22:26:18

Thank you everyone for your hints and tips. Sad to say that we couldn't see ourselves living there, just not enough storage or room but had so much potential for extending.

It was a good experience though. Looking forward to viewing more properties, I'm sure we will know when we find 'the one'.

kernowgal Thu 07-Jul-16 13:43:38

Try to view it when the neighbours are home, if possible. Had I done this I would have been aware of the rubbish soundproofing between the two houses and it may well have put me off. You can also get a feel for what the neighbours are like (mine are nice, but noisy).

My other issue is parking - find out what the parking situation is outside. In my case there is plenty of it but certain neighbours think they have their 'own' spaces when in fact they are communal spaces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now