House buyer requesting boiler report...

(11 Posts)
emmabrown123 Tue 05-Jul-16 18:29:07

Can I ask some house selling advice?!

We had our boiler serviced at our buyers request (and to be fair it was due). The man who services it provides an invoice which basically states everything was checked and was working and safe. Our buyer is now saying that invoice isn't good enough and he wants a full report. Anyone who has bought / sold a house before know whether this is normal practice? Feels like he's taking the piss to me!!!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 05-Jul-16 18:30:07

I've never had anyone ask and never asked. Can't see why a service report isn't good enough.

StiickEmUp Tue 05-Jul-16 18:31:42

I've recently moved.

The sellers estate agent called is and asked if 'we needed boiler report'

First we heard of that!

It was our solicitor on behalf of the lender. Not us.

Maybe same in your case ?

FanSpamTastic Tue 05-Jul-16 18:32:16

You don't have to provide it but equally they do not have to buy your house. A compromise may be to suggest that he commissions his own report at his own cost to satisfy himself. But be aware that he may then chip the price of the house to cover the cost of the report and any repairs it may identify. Or it may satisfy him that all is ok and the sale proceeds accordingly.

StiickEmUp Tue 05-Jul-16 18:33:22

And yes common practice. They are checking if a device worth £4000 to replace sometimes works properly.

It's not essential but makes sense.

emmabrown123 Tue 05-Jul-16 18:34:14

The service report has 4 tick boxes

Flue system control
Ventilation satisfactory
Installation pipe work sound
Safe to use

All ticked, then states make and model and has a signature.

What else would they want to know? (this boiler is 5 years old by the way)

StiickEmUp Tue 05-Jul-16 18:34:50

Oh! That's whAt we got!

Ask your sol to ask them

PolterGoose Tue 05-Jul-16 18:35:16

Our last house sale we provided copies of our annual boiler service/safety checks going back several years and still the buyer wanted a 'report'. He paid a gas fitter to come check, bloke came round, looked at paperwork and said it was fine.

emmabrown123 Tue 05-Jul-16 18:40:11

Is there a more comprehensive report I should be asking the guy who services it for then? This is the only Paperwork he's provided is!

whois Tue 05-Jul-16 19:00:04

Tell the buyers to 0121 do one. You have had it serviced and provided documentation. If they want more they can pay for it. You aren't going to loose the sale over this, and if you do, they were looking to pull out anyway.

PolterGoose Tue 05-Jul-16 19:41:30

If it was a proper service/check carried out by a Gas Safe engineer there's really nothing else to be done.

I would not let a tradesperson commissioned by another person mess with my gas boiler etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now