Talk

Advanced search

Move to Bromley Common

(11 Posts)
frendleeowl Mon 04-Jul-16 15:56:44

Hi out there. I'm retuning to work soon. I currently live in Dorking and the commute is long and expensive. I used to live in Crystal Palace pre-kids and loved it. Am now considering moving back in closer to London to Bromley Common. I don't know much about the area but we would get more value for money on 3 beds there than Dorking. Have seen a great house on Lower Gravel Road near Bromley Bus Garage. Does anyone know anything about the area? Is it family friendly? How are the primary schools, London commute, good pubs, etc? I have two DDs and one will be entering Y2 in September. Would love to hear. Thanks. smile

dontcallmelen Mon 04-Jul-16 17:49:57

Hi Op dont know Bromley common well, but it is a long way from rail stations which, could make your commute difficult.
It's a nice area & probably a bit cheaper than either Bromley south/north due to distance of stations, so depends on where you need/how you commute.
Areas nearer to stations would be Bromley south & north, Shortlands, Eden park, Elmers end, west wickham, Beckenham, Hayes, also depends on budget, schools are generally good in Bromley & most areas are safe & family friendly.

Pooka Mon 04-Jul-16 17:51:14

Frequent buses from the bus station to Bromley south rail station. But traffic can be a pain - depends on timings.

pinksummer Mon 04-Jul-16 18:00:33

I grew up one road away from there and went to school in Bromley. Very easy to get a bus to Bromley South station. There are a plethora of bus routes, there are bus lanes so it will take about 15-20mins to Bromley South. Trains are nice and quick and regular to Victoria and less frequent to Blackfriars. Going the other way is orpington, trains to go Charing x. Both have black cab ranks.
As for schools I'm not sure of them all anymore I'm afraid. Secondary there is Ravenswood which is a good boys school (walkable) and Ravensbourne a bus ride but wasn't that good in my day. (We are going back 25yrs though!
Pubs I can think of that are walkable are The 2 Doves and Bird in Hand I think.. My dad still drinks in one. Nothing special or flash though!
I hope that helps.

frendleeowl Tue 05-Jul-16 10:12:41

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Really helpful. Both my husband and I work in Bloomsbury so thinking bus to Orpington, train to Charing Cross and 20min walk to work. I imagine this would work out just over an hour in rush hour? We are upsizing to a three bedroom and some houses there are a lot more spacious and cheaper than 3 beds in Dorking which are highly priced and not very big. Going to book viewings for this weekend.

scaredofthecity Tue 05-Jul-16 10:57:37

I used to live in Bromley and work in Bloomsbury. I found the best way to get to work was to get the train from Bromley to elephant and castle and then a 15 min bus. Then you only need a zone 2 travelcard and save about £100 a month. I found it took about 45 mins in the morning although it could be half hour longer coming home.

WannaBe Tue 05-Jul-16 11:08:45

Traffic in that area is a nightmare at rush hour but agree that you could be in a favourable position to get a bus back to Orpington and commute to Charing Cross/Victoria/Cannon Street/London Bridge from there.

Not sure about schools though, and might depend on what you had in mind for the future I.e. Whether you were planning for eleven plus. If you e.g. We're in Orpington you would be eligible for the Kent as well as the Bexley tests which would give you a greater selection of grammars. Bromley would I think be slightly too far out of catchment for the Bexley grammars.

PettsWoodParadise Wed 06-Jul-16 09:45:07

If you are thinking of getting a bus to Orpington anyway, why not find a property there? The London termini options are so much more from Orpington as you've already discovered. Similar prices to Bromley Common will be found in Crofton which is walkable to both Orpington and sometimes also Petts Wood depending on what end. For schools you have Oftsed outstanding Crofton school and also Darrick Wood secondary (small catchment of 1 mile or less). As someone else has said you also have better access to a wide range of grammars including Newstead/St Olaves, Bexley grammars and some Kent grammars too.

frendleeowl Sun 10-Jul-16 09:19:04

Thanks again for feedback folks. So helpful. Have a 3 and 6.5yr old. Are there good activities and nature spots in area?

PettsWoodParadise Sun 10-Jul-16 09:44:36

Petts Wood has a lovely May Fayre each year with stalls and rides, at Christmas they have a fayre with lights, fireworks and rides. There is a small soft play area at Oakley Gym and a great pottery painting place called Fired Up. There are lots of classes at church halls and the memorial hall from baby ballet to Kumon etc etc and the library has activities like bounce and thyme. There are nice walks in the woods (entrance on Hazelmere Road) or nice recreation grounds at Willet Rec with climbing games etc and the free tennis courts, cricket and bowls etc. Also a park near Crofton school with frames and slides called Eynsford Rec, next to a stables so you can see the horses and if the owners are ok with it you can feed them carrots. We have National Trust membership and often drive out to lovely places like Chartwell or Bodium that have great trails and activities for kids of all ages. Easy to get into town for all that London has to offer too. That is really just scratching the surface. Brilliant place to live.

Singingstarfish Sun 10-Jul-16 10:26:04

I used to live near where you are looking, it's ok but if say a neither nor place really - good for buses to Bromley South and quite quick to get to Orpington (when the bus actually turns up). All the secondary schools are pretty good i think. But if I was to ever move back that way I'd prefer to be within walking distance of a station and decent shops - Petts Wood is really nice and Orpington would be a good choice for getting to Charing Cross.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now