Talk

Advanced search

Small attic bathroom

(10 Posts)
Believeitornot Sun 03-Jul-16 20:29:04

We bought our house about 3 months ago. The previous owners squeezed in a loft extension with a strange ensuite.

The ensuite has quite a bit of floor space (1.8mx1.5m) but they've put in all in the sloping corner of the roof. So there is only head room by the door and toilet. You can't put a shower in as nowhere tall enough (the door is at the tallest point and plumbing seems to be coming up through one of the walls).

It does look like we could get a bath in under the slope - just no space to stand and have a shower.

Would it be silly to put a bath in this space? Or are we better off ripping out the whole ensuite and just having an attic room (the room wouldn't then have an ensuite)? I reckon adding a bath wouldn't cost too much but can't decide if it is worth it.

We only have one other bathroom.

Hufflepuffin Sun 03-Jul-16 22:21:44

Is there room to mount a shower head above the bath in a position where you could use it for hair washing? I stayed in a hotel with this arrangement and LOVED it. (But I like baths not showers)

Believeitornot Sun 03-Jul-16 22:23:43

I'm not sure - you could wash your hair with a shower attachment if you sat down I suppose. Def couldn't stand up. Will have another look.

whois Sun 03-Jul-16 23:27:26

I think it is still 100% worth it to have a toilet and sink.

I would also prob put a bath in. I'm not a huge fan but lots of people like baths.

As PP mentioned I've been in hotels that have a shower hose and a holder on the wall but low down, so you can sit upright in the bath and wash your hair with both hands sitting under the shower attachment. Worked quite well.

wowfudge Mon 04-Jul-16 07:00:39

Can you post a photo and a floorplan/sketch of the layout. I'm wondering if there's another option.

yumyumpoppycat Mon 04-Jul-16 07:24:36

I put a bath in our loft bathroom under the slope, we dont use it often and it was about an additional £500 to have it plumbed in plus the cost of the bath but I dont really regret putting it in. It is a bit tricky getting in and out. We have a loft window in the slope above the bath which increases the headspace. We also have a shower next to the door in the loft, our logic was that it would be the only bath in the house so worth putting in. I have seen walk in showers built in under the eaves rather than a cubicle, like this pic

I think it would be a mistake to take away a second toilet and basin, but it might be worth holding off putting in the bath and consider saving up to redesign the loft an put the ensuite in a different location in the loft? A bed might work quite well in the sloping part of the loft?

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Mon 04-Jul-16 07:51:41

We're just about the put a bath under the roof slope in our loft bathroom. I think it'll be lovely and cosy even though we will have to crawl into it

Believeitornot Mon 04-Jul-16 10:26:13

I'll get a floor plan up later when am at home!

We could have a shower but would need to move the position of the ensuite altogether - I've looked at some many pictures but can't see how a shower can fit in the existing rooms (the room is in the corner of the loft with every bit of ceiling sloped.

Dh is adamant that we need to either completely reconfigure the roof, which in my view is a huge job or remove the ensuite altogether.

I think we could either squeeze a bath in or move it to a different part of the loft within the dormer. The dormer is quite narrow (1.5m) and is wasted space - the bed only fits under the slope.

My view is that we squeeze the maximum usage for minimum budget in the loft and spend our money on the living areas downstairs (we need a big extension!)

whois Mon 04-Jul-16 11:40:39

Dh is adamant that we need to either completely reconfigure the roof, which in my view is a huge job or remove the ensuite altogether.

Why would oyu remove a functioning toilet and basin? Even without a bath, having a toilet and sink is better than not having one surely?

Believeitornot Mon 04-Jul-16 17:56:21

We have a main bathroom (with toilet) plus another seperate toilet downstairs.... That's why! So the one in the attic seems like a wasted opportunity.
We aren't going to get the loft room to ever be anything more than a loft room. It will have sloping walls etc which I've accepted so think we should make the best of it with minimal cost. Not throw money at it to make it perfect (which would be the huge reconfiguration).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now