Talk

Advanced search

New ash table top splintering along grain lines

(4 Posts)
FemaleDilbert Sun 03-Jul-16 20:09:17

A month or so ago we bought a new solid ash table, described as with 'lacquer' finish.

We've noticed that along the grain lines there seems to be some splintering in some areas.

The table isn't getting hot or wet, and we're not sure if it is something we are doing wrong (it gets cleaned frequently due to two preschoolers eating at it) or whether the finish on the table is poor.

Any ideas? Pic attached

lalalonglegs Sun 03-Jul-16 21:22:59

I'd get in touch with the shop where you bought it. I can't really see what the problem is from the photo but they should be your first port of call if there is a problem.

TremoloGreen Sun 03-Jul-16 22:23:31

It's solid wood so very solveable. You can sand it back and refinish. It is worth going back to the shop though as I imagine you paid a price that didn't include the time/cost of refinishing yourself. Was it a mass produced item or 'handmade'. If the former, most likely the laquer was a spray job with a solvent based product. The latter, they will be able to advise what they did but a waterbased product on wood can raise the grain in this way so insufficient coats/sanding between coats could cause that effect as the wood dries out over time. Also the cleaning product you're using could be causing the finish to break down over time. I use method product on a similar table (oak though) and no pronlems but mine is from john lewis so mass produced.

PigletJohn Sun 03-Jul-16 22:44:32

are you certain it is solid, not veneer?

show us a pic of the grain on the end and side edges, please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now