Talk

Advanced search

How much to keep in savings as back-up?

(12 Posts)
cheapandcheerful Fri 01-Jul-16 22:58:40

We are currently saving up for a big extension on our house and have worked out that we will have enough at some point next year. However if we were to immediately go ahead then it would completely clear us out. So, what is the least amount of money that you would have in your savings account, before you started feeling edgy about it?

fieldfare Fri 01-Jul-16 23:02:48

3 months worth of salary. This is then enough with being extremely frugal to cover 5-6 months worth of bills.
Dh has been made redundant in the past so my idea of a safety net is probably larger than others.

RebelandaStunner Fri 01-Jul-16 23:36:00

Least 20k.
More comfortable if it's 30k plus.
It also depends on how quickly you can build it back up. If it's only a few months then I would be ok with knowing it was short term.

whois Fri 01-Jul-16 23:51:51

Depends how much you earn, what your out goings are, how quickly you can build back up the savings pot. Would also depend what your other options are - Wh are your parents well off and could give you money in an emergancy. Also what critical illness cover do you have, what is sick policy like etc.

I would like to always have 3 months salary as a minimum but feel better with 6. Although it is usual for people after things like a new house, extension to wipe out savings pots.

PigletJohn Sat 02-Jul-16 17:03:42

this is a bit of an unfair question as some people (many people at times) will have difficulty putting anything aside.

After some quite dramatic ups and downs, I prefer to keep enough for 6-months frugal spending. I was once unable to work for a year due to injuries. If you have never been made redundant or worked for a company that went bust you may be less cautious. Until it happens to you.

If you have a partner who has an unfortunate habit you have to keep it out of their reach.

pearlylum Sun 03-Jul-16 06:57:39

The more savings the better. We have 3 years of salary in savings, I would like more.

Runningupthathill82 Sun 03-Jul-16 08:49:11

We usually have none. Not by choice, but we can't put anything aside.

scarlets Sun 03-Jul-16 13:26:17

I'd want at least £10k accessible.

cheapandcheerful Sun 03-Jul-16 19:55:43

3years pearly! shock

Really interesting to hear different opinions on this. I think we will try to keep £10k which works out at about 4 months salary between us.

pearlylum Mon 04-Jul-16 07:18:31

cheapandcheerful it just worked out that way. OH and I are not big spenders, small runaround cars, I'm not into clothes or shoes, most of our stuff is second hand. We do like nice things to eat but otherwise just seem to earn more than we spend.

Mummyme87 Mon 04-Jul-16 07:24:48

We are planning for 3months of mortgage and bills. However, neither of us have ever been made redundant or lost our jobs so probably less cautious than others. I know a lot of people who could have no savings

Ememem84 Mon 04-Jul-16 07:26:57

3 years??? That's amazing!

We have about 6 months saved. But are aiming for more. We want to sell our flat and buy a house next year so need as much as possible.

Dh thinks if we try hard we can save £40k by the end of the year. It's doable. I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now