Talk

Advanced search

Sliding (barn) doors

(4 Posts)
YorkshireFatRascal Fri 01-Jul-16 07:54:34

I am putting in a new door way between a kitchen and sitting room. To save space I am thinking about a sliding door. I have seen lots of Barn Doors (where the door is suspended on a track and roller) on Pinterest. I quite like the look of a 'chunky' metal mechanism. These seem to be popular in the US but I have I not seen any in the UK. Does any one have experience of them? I am a bit worried the they might 'stick' on the track.

VoleSnuffle Fri 01-Jul-16 11:51:46

I think I would be concerned that they merely cover the doorway not shut into the door opening.

Because you are looking at a kitchen door I would want to be able to close it properly so that cooking smells stay in the kitchen.

What about a pocket door where it slides into the wall?

YorkshireFatRascal Fri 01-Jul-16 17:52:48

We have looked at the option of a pocket door but this will involve extra building work to make the 'pocket' in the wall. I do like the look of some of the chrome sliding mechanisms but am just a bit worried the it may a bit wobbly .

Debunked Fri 07-Jul-17 20:29:52

Yorkshire did you go for the barn door? I'm considering one for our kitchen/hallway but worried about the lack of seal for smell and sound ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now