Talk

Advanced search

How to "repair" damaged soft-wood floorboards?

(3 Posts)
MarasmeAbsolu Wed 29-Jun-16 18:12:22

We have soft-wood floorboards - they were sanded and sealed with an acrylic coat a few years ago, with a slight shine.
They look lovely, but the slightest scratch marks them badly. A pain with the DDs.

DDs have been building dens out of chairs, and have marked the floorboards quite badly - not quite scratches, but more dents.

I remember that a few years ago our builder hired a "french polisher" to improve some dents they had made by accidents in the floor - any idea how this works, and whether it can be done easily?

I appreciate we will not fully repair the damage, but would like to minimise the dents...

user1465823522 Wed 29-Jun-16 18:53:49

try rubbing minor scratches with a raw walnut - it sounds crazy, but honestly it covers most minor scratches

MarasmeAbsolu Sun 03-Jul-16 19:49:16

thanks user!
have tried this on the scratches - works well!

I also tried the "french polishing" thingy (I felt brave):
a bit of water on the dent, then a couple of sheets of kitchen paper on top, and the iron on max setting on top of paper in small rotating motions for 20 seconds. Loads of steam, and a not so deep dent after treatment grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now