Talk

Advanced search

Help with side walkway

(9 Posts)
Alyx80 Tue 28-Jun-16 10:42:24

Our house is slightly higher than our neighbours and we need to do something with our pathway between the houses. We've added a small extension where the side door is which has bought it out closer to the neighbours house and now we don't know what to do with the path. we were considering a raised path up to the height of the door but that would be over the neighbours damp course so I don't think we can do that! It starts low at the front garden and is much higher by the back garden.
Any ideas please? We're not sure on having steep steps out of the door as we have small children. Have attached a few pics as I can't explain it well!

Lighteningirll Tue 28-Jun-16 13:46:29

good grief I am shocked at how narrow that is I am a bit unclear but surely there isn't a door in that 'passage' ?

Lighteningirll Tue 28-Jun-16 13:47:42

Oh sorry I can see its a window where is the door?

VoleSnuffle Tue 28-Jun-16 14:30:02

Lightening that is the door!

You are going to need to put a step in, it is the only way. You cannot make a slope as you will go over the damp proof course.

Did the builder not make you aware of this when you had the extension built? Is this the only door out into the garden?

whois Tue 28-Jun-16 14:44:19

We're not sure on having steep steps out of the door as we have small children

I can't really see any other option than to have steps? It is so narrow!

Although are steps really such an issue? Small children grow up. Small children can be taught to be carful on steps. Loads of houses have steps down either at the front or the back.

Alyx80 Tue 28-Jun-16 15:54:48

It is quite narrow but always has been as we have the garage at the front, we've just filled the bit at the back as it was cut away (hard to explain!) which has bought the door out level with the garage wall.
We have patio doors in the back too.
looks like lots of steps are the way to go thanks smile

whois Tue 28-Jun-16 15:56:23

Alyx80 not as narrow as one passage way that was on 999 many years ago - a girl got stuck between the tiny tiny gap between her and next door's house!

Lighteningirll Tue 28-Jun-16 18:06:34

Why put a door there at all if there are patio doors?

Alyx80 Tue 28-Jun-16 20:07:33

Because it's a pain to keep opening the patio to let the dog out lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now