Talk

Advanced search

Within commuting distance of London Bridge/Cannon Street

(13 Posts)
WellTidy Mon 27-Jun-16 14:03:22

We live in Bromley at the moment, but at some point need to move to open up schools possibilities for DS1 for independent secondary and DS2 who has ASD and severe speech and language delay for primary.

DH and I book work near London Bridge/Cannon Street. Although I'm part time, DH is in the office five days a week and works long hours, so the journey needs to be one train (no connecting) and not too far down the line so that he doesn't get a seat in the mornings. We accept that we would have to drive to a station, so need to be able to park at the station too.

Oh, and it can't be in Kent (nightmare LEA for funding places for children with SEN). Surrey would be ideal. I would like to live in a community as that is how I grew up.

Can anyone suggest some areas to me please? I've looked at Oxted (on Rightmove only) and Hurst Green.

Budget is decent, and we would be looking for detached with 5 beds.

TIA

useyourimagination Mon 27-Jun-16 14:05:22

It really depends what you call commuting distance. We live in E Sussex, just over an hour to London Bridge direct. DH also works long hours and the journey doesn't help but the quality of life once he's home is worth it for us.

Diddlydokey Mon 27-Jun-16 14:06:43

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50564347.html

Diddlydokey Mon 27-Jun-16 14:09:34

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59933312.html

idontlikealdi Mon 27-Jun-16 14:09:34

HOw big is a decent budget - Woldingham would be my pick. Otherwise any of the towns on that Line - WArlingham, Oxted, Hurst Green, Whytleafe.

WellTidy Mon 27-Jun-16 14:18:27

Sorry, commuting distance to me and DH would be absolutely maximum of an hour on the train. Shorter journey time preferred.

I wasn't sure about putting a budget in my post as sometimes posters think an OP is boasting or things along those lines. I think around £1.5 million. Possibly more, depending on whether we move sooner or later.

useyourimagination Mon 27-Jun-16 14:43:53

Agree with looking at Oxted then. this school might be of interest for your DS in the future.

idontlikealdi Mon 27-Jun-16 14:50:03

I'd definitley look at Woldingham then - still has a 'villagey' feel to it.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58692824.html

Diddlydokey Mon 27-Jun-16 14:52:33

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59602283.html

WellTidy Mon 27-Jun-16 14:54:42

Thank you for the suggestions so far.

use I've looked at Moor House in the past. The child's primary need must be speech and language for them to go there, and DS' primary need is ASD. Thanks anyway, I would love for him to attend somewhere like that, it would be a dream come true. Where in E Sussex would be an hour from London Bridge please?

Woldingham looks lovely, and that house is stunning idont. Too expensive for us as it definitely needs work. It is also on a hill and we need somewhere flat. I'm now appreciating that Surrey is hilly!

WellTidy Mon 27-Jun-16 14:56:37

I hadn't even thought of S Croydon Diddly. Thanks! Considering we aren't that far away from it now, I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me!

cherrytree63 Tue 28-Jun-16 22:45:02

The Croydon house would make East Croydon station very accessible by tram. But when I worked in London I travelled from Hayes (Kent), start of the line so always got a seat.

useyourimagination Wed 29-Jun-16 22:44:50

Crowborough is just over the hour to London Bridge. There is a school that might suit your DS but I know nothing about it - you'd need to research it.

You'd probably find something in your price range and the town itself isn't bad from what I know of it. I don't live there but have been through it on occasion. You're also close to Tunbridge Wells for shopping, theatre and cinema.

I live on the Kent/Sussex border but there are no schools that would be suitable for you going forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now