Talk

Advanced search

Roughly how much would you pay for this job?

(18 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 24-Jun-16 16:15:57

We've really struggled to get anyone to come and quote for decorating our room and have one guy who's come back with a quote. I think it's quite pricey but as I can't compare it I don't know!
We need the following doing:
Wallpaper stripped
Huge holes filled in walls
Radiator replaced with new one
Ceiling boarded, plastered and painted
Fitted wardrobe removed
Skirting boards added
Whole room papered
Skirting board and door frame painted.
Remove carpets

Quote is 1375
He's also put to plaster skim wall behind radiator - I'm guessing that's as its a weird panel right now that he can't paper straight onto?

We're northwest England.
Is that reasonable?

wowfudge Fri 24-Jun-16 16:45:52

How many days will it take? Can you not strip wallpaper, remove the wardrobe and carpet yourself? I'm guessing it's a week's work at least for one person. You'll need a skip for the waste too.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 24-Jun-16 16:53:05

I'm starting to wonder that. I've just removed the wardrobe so will need him to requote on that basis. I could remove paper but it'll be a hassle as we've 3 under 4 with the youngest only at 7mths who doesn't nap reliably. Would it save much?

twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 24-Jun-16 16:53:28

He said roughly a week but a gap for plaster drying etc

twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 24-Jun-16 16:53:48

And that's with at least one helper

twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 24-Jun-16 16:56:13

Also re removing paper - I took a strip off which was rank when we moved in and half the wall came with it. Therefore if they do it maybe they'll be better at it?!

icklekid Fri 24-Jun-16 16:57:10

2 people 7 days would only be £98 a day (however probably wouldn't be split evenly!) I think thats quite a lot of work and sounds reasonable quote to me...however I can't ever face paying people to do something I can do (even if takes longer) so would just play for plasterer in your situation...

twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 24-Jun-16 17:33:12

98 each or between them? I'm struggling with the idea of paying them for jobs I can do but I think the reality is I can't right now!

HeirOfNothingInParticular Fri 24-Jun-16 19:47:17

Given the price of jobs I have had done recently, and I am in the North West, I would say that price if pretty reasonable. Can you remove the carpet and any other easily removable things, it will make a small difference

maddiesparks Fri 24-Jun-16 20:57:53

I think that sounds like a very good price for all that work to be honest! (I'm in North East)

icklekid Fri 24-Jun-16 22:01:24

Sorry £98 each...

Maverick66 Fri 24-Jun-16 22:10:02

I think that is a reasonable quote for the amount of work.

Catsgowoof Sat 25-Jun-16 08:48:00

Seems like a fair quote. Are materials included? Prob not wallpaper and paint but plaster, filler, any plumbing bits needed to move rad....

What's happening to all the rubbish generated? Most tradespeople won't take to a tip and will leave for you to deal with or get a skip

justwhatineeded Sat 25-Jun-16 09:50:42

Seems fair to me. He has to make money for it to be worthwhile to him, and for the amount of work he is doing I think that is reasonable.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 25-Jun-16 09:52:56

Sounds really reasonable!

wowfudge Sat 25-Jun-16 12:13:22

I thought the quote seemed very reasonable given how long the work will take - if you need to cut costs then doing what you can yourselves will help.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Sat 25-Jun-16 15:39:24

Thanks for the replies, it's so hard to know these things so much appreciated smile

JoJoSM2 Sat 25-Jun-16 22:16:11

It's a lot of work and personally I'd be extatic with the quote especially if they include rubbish removal too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now