Talk

Advanced search

Any landlords out there able to give me advice

(17 Posts)
MarchEliza Thu 23-Jun-16 12:05:09

Hi - I'm renting a 2 bed house for 6 months (me, 15 month DD and partner).

As of the torrential downpour last night there is now a steady stream of drips coming through the ceiling in my dd's room.

Obviously I called the landlady this morning and left a couple of messages but not reply yet.

For full disclosure I have not had to contact her previously (am 2.5 months into contract) and have no reason to believe she is negligent in any way.

I would love to know what people (perhaps especially landlords) think about: a) how long can I leave a situation like this; b) is there anything I can do myself to mitigate damage; and c) what do I do if she just ignores me?

Thanks!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 23-Jun-16 12:11:00

Was an agent involved or has your only contact been directly with the landlady?

Have you moved all your own stuff out of the way of the drips? Stuck buckets underneath?

I think reasonably you have to give her to the end of the day to respond - she may have a day job where she's no access to her phone, for example. I know that's not massively helpful though! The last time our tenant had an emergency we were on a flight to Australia... he knew the plumber though so just called him himself, I was fine with that but he's been a tenant for six years.

MarchEliza Thu 23-Jun-16 12:14:38

Yes I've moved everything, put a bucket down and towels to protect the carpet from any splashes so I think I've done all I can. It's the ceiling that I'm worried about as it already looks quite damaged and obviously that room is now unusable.

Thanks for your input. Hopefully she'll be in touch soon as the weather is due to worsen.

MarchEliza Thu 23-Jun-16 12:15:28

An agent collects the rent but the house is maintained by the ll. I have contacted the agents too to see if they can get hold of her.

feetheart Thu 23-Jun-16 12:19:10

May be worth taking photos of both the ceiling and what you have done - buckets, towels, etc, preferably with a date/time stamp on though not sure if that's possible on a phone. Just in case the damage gets worse before she calls you. It will show you have been proactive and may help to pinpoint where the leak(s) are.
Good luck.

OurBlanche Thu 23-Jun-16 12:19:16

She's probably working and hasn't picked up your messages yet. With a roof leak it is unlikely any LL would just ignore you, that would be a very costly error.

All you can do is keep on with buckets and mopping up, mainly to save the ceiling of the room beneath! Move everything out from under and call her again later today.

If it were a pipe burst I'd say call a plumber, but calling a roofer is a bit more of a commitment!

Pantsalive Thu 23-Jun-16 12:35:34

It might be worth shoving a screwdriver up into the bit where the drips are coming from. It may make the leak seem worse but it could save the whole ceiling coming down.

Pantsalive Thu 23-Jun-16 12:36:44

Or any other handy implement to make a hole. (Obviously doesn't have to be a screwdriver. That's just what I've used previously. )

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 23-Jun-16 13:09:45

Yes pics are a good idea and I have also saved a ceiling by making a bigger hole at the lowest point so the water can come out too. I forgot that and it was one of my proudest moments too!

austenozzy Thu 23-Jun-16 13:16:05

Was the existing damage listed on your inventory? Need to keep evidence of stuff like this to protect yourselves and your deposit.

Lighteningirll Thu 23-Jun-16 13:45:53

I would ask the agent for advice, it's possible ll is on holiday/away and the agent might have a regular tradesman they can send round.

Lweji Thu 23-Jun-16 13:49:36

I'd contact the estate agent.
Did you say in the messages what the problem was? And how serious it is?

Worst case, if you still can't get hold of her, I'd send her a message that I would arrange for emergency repairs and would expect my cost to be recovered through the rent.

whois Thu 23-Jun-16 14:54:41

Yup - photos, keep calling LL, call the agent and do the hole thing if there is a fair bit of water (steady stream of drips still coming thru indicates there is).

MarchEliza Thu 23-Jun-16 15:33:01

Hi - she has been in touch and asked me to go ahead and organise repairs so , hopefully- all will be well soon.

Thank you all for your very helpful advice!

OurBlanche Thu 23-Jun-16 16:22:27

Yay! Sounds good. Take pictures all through the wreck and repair so she can see what went on and thank her for letting you just get on with it. We used to have to wait for the WreckIt and Scarper builders our LL loved. Everyone hated them, but they were especially pleasant to her and so got the jobs.

Ask the agent if they have any recommendations, they usually do have, and it won't cost you anything to keep them and their preferred contractors sweet smile

SauvignonPlonker Thu 23-Jun-16 20:06:01

It's her job to organise repairs.

OurBlanche Thu 23-Jun-16 20:09:59

Maybe March is happy to do this, sometimes it works better that way. Sometimes what is 'right' isn't always what is best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now