Talk

Advanced search

We're buying a new build - any tips?

(19 Posts)
CremeDeSudo Thu 23-Jun-16 11:31:19

It'll be ready by Sept/Oct. My head is swimming with things that need to be done in order to actually move in - curtains, blinds, washing machine plumbed, turfing. We have carpets and vinyl flooring being put in as part of the sale.

Any tips/suggestions on things we could be doing/getting ready in the run up or things to get done asap once we have the keys?

TIA!

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 23-Jun-16 12:32:36

Usually the washing machine plumbing is present and attaching it is a two minute job so I wouldn't stress about that.
I would be making my check list for snagging do all tapes run properly, showers etc. Finish around rooms, etc.

Flyingdoggles Thu 23-Jun-16 12:53:44

Few tips for you

- Don't expect there to be a TV aerial connected to the TV points (found that one out the hard way!)
- Start a snagging list immediately (but try to delay the walk through until after you've moved in so if removals people damage anything then that just goes on the snagging list)
- Make sure its how you want it, if you want them to change things ask (we had a shower put in over the bath in the family bathroom and a radiator removed in the kitchen to add in extra cupboards)
- Find out what paint they used so if you need to touch up any walls you can
- Buy a house number if it doesn't clearly come with one (we had a cross postman until I got this sorted)
- Find out which water meter is yours as they can be confusing on the path
- Make sure you use plasterboard fixings on the walls, they are generally not very strong

I think that is all I can think of but if anything else pops into my head I will add it on

CremeDeSudo Thu 23-Jun-16 13:03:06

Thank you both! Am currently reading a snagging list I found online. Lots of things I wouldn't have thought of.

One question - with theTV aerial, does this still apply if we're planning on a Sky/BT/Now TV type service?

Flyingdoggles Thu 23-Jun-16 13:47:19

Sky will put their own dish up for you and I think BT runs off the Internet but I don't know. If you're going down those routes sign up early as it was a few weeks before sky came and put our dish up.

We had a few TV points and used them all but only had sky in one room so needed the aerial to work too

CremeDeSudo Thu 23-Jun-16 14:01:23

Thanks again smile

Diddlydokey Thu 23-Jun-16 14:07:01

With Sky they can come round the day after you move in - they're really flexible. It is the phoneline that takes the time as BT need to come out regardless of your provider and it has to be during working hours.

Our house came with appliances so it was literally a case of moving in our stuff, updating the utilities, electoral roll etc with address change.

Insurance had to be sorted before.

Expect for it to run over by quite a long way and to have to nag the developer. It is really common for the mortgage offer to expire.

Diddlydokey Thu 23-Jun-16 14:07:57

A Now TV box is £15 and doesn't need an aerial.

CremeDeSudo Thu 23-Jun-16 14:25:28

The estate only has BT internet I believe. I'm hoping to just use Netflix/Now TV. I'm hoping they won't take ages to switch the internet/phone on!

When can we kick things off with them? We have exchanged yet - should I wait 'til then?

specialsubject Thu 23-Jun-16 15:38:59

don't do anything until exchange.

then get going on internet/phone, because (hate to say it) new estates can take ages for Openreach to get round to.

BTW you don't only have BT Internet, sounds like you have copper cabling which means you can use any provider that services your area, except Virgin who won't.

QforCucumber Thu 23-Jun-16 15:48:22

Ask the builder/site manager to leave a small tub of the paint they use - ours left some in a plastic box and it was great to use for touch ups if we caught anything.
the day you get to view - I know you'll be excited - but really check everything, toilet flushes with no leaks, taps all work, doors all open and close smoothly, seals around windows, cooker (if supplied) works. Taking from experience - getting things sorted after moving in can be a lot more difficult than before.

Snapnap Thu 23-Jun-16 16:07:39

Air con. New builds are boiling!

CremeDeSudo Thu 23-Jun-16 16:31:19

I'll have to check the info re internet as I really dislike not having the choice! Am aware they could take ages and the address databases take forever to get updated. Dreading that to be honest...

I think I'll have to make a spreadsheet with boxes to tick!

No air con unfortunately!

specialsubject Thu 23-Jun-16 17:08:11

if it needs aircon in the UK it is a really shit house. Don't exchange if that's the case.

it should have been built with windows that open on the correct sides so you can get airflow through. It should also have correct insulation.

but unless it is in central London I find it hard to believe that this will be an issue!

Myheartisbeating Thu 23-Jun-16 17:19:47

Internet will take ages - we got virgin after a month and a half, open reach didn't get around here until over 3 months after we moved in. I'd get looking at dongles/mifi to cover the gap. Also check your contracts, as ours clearly states we can't have any aerials attached to the front of the house until the development is finished - something you need to consider if you want sky. And don't do what we did and forget toilet roll holders and lampshades!

Ruhrpott Thu 23-Jun-16 17:20:16

We negotiated lots of stuff into the price but if you have already signed that's too late. There was also no electric in the garage so we got that put in and the shower over the bath in the family bathroom too. It cost us a fortune in towel rails, toilet roll holders, curtain rails, curtains etc, etc and took us a while to put them all up.
Yes to the snagging, some stuff you only have 7 days to notice (things like chips in the bath) and others they will sort out for two years. We bought a pot of paint off them cheaply to do touch ups and we also had no aerial. You also won't be able to store stuff in loft as they don't recommend it and it's not boarded out

Ruhrpott Thu 23-Jun-16 17:21:00

And make sure your happy with all the clauses in the contract like no chickens and no parking caravans in drive

Stroan Thu 23-Jun-16 23:55:30

Who is the builder? Some are more on the ball than others.

Agree re BT. They couldn't process our order until a certain amount of work had been completed on the development, but they handled it all and kept us informed. We were connected by day 2.

If you aren't arranging flooring through the builder, it's worth asking if you can get access a day early for fitting. Ours were fine with that, although they did mess us around with the move in date. They'll also need to let the fitters in to measure up beforehand.

Our builders left us with two pots of paint and a brush for touch ups along with chocolates and fizz!

Double, triple check that your furniture not only fits in the rooms but can be manoeuvred into the rooms. I inadvertently bought a giant sofa which didn't fit through the hall - had to get joiners to take the window out. blush similarly, check the clearance height on the stairs. Our super King mattress didn't fit and had to be swapped for two zip-link mattresses.

Ask now about their walk round/familiarisation processes. Push for your initial walk round to be as early as possible to give them more time to fix stuff before you actually move in and the repairs become disruptive. We had one two weeks before we got the keys, one the day of moving and another 5 days later to pick up any issues we'd uncovered. It's good to know how they do it as our first one took 3 hours - they show you how to work EVERYTHING.

Don't pay for fencing! You're just paying for your neighbours to get fencing - instead befriend the landscaping contractors on site and do a deal with them. Same with turf if that isn't included.

Order bins from the council early, ours took ages to come.

It'll take ages for your address to appear on maps or sat nav - write out detailed directions and save on your phone/ email so you can easily send them to delivery drivers etc. And yes to getting a house number asap!

Be nice to the site staff! Some of our neighbours learned this the hard way, but we were always pleasant to the site manager and his assistant so they did extra things for us. They even sent round a joiner and decorator to repair the damage caused by us having to get the window taken out! Even now, they pop round if we need anything checked - others haven't been so lucky because they were super aggressive.

Confirm that the landscaping is finished before you start doing anything - we had no idea we were due to get a tree until we had planted a load of lavender exactly where the tree was supposed to go. The tree took 6 months to be planted.

Check silly things like whether the bath/sinks/showers have hot and cold running water. We didn't realise until week 3 that the bath didn't run hot.

Less positive - consider an alarm at build stage and be extra vigilant about locking your doors. There were several sneak in burglaries on our street within weeks of moving in and the police said that they were trying doors and windows in the hope that new homeowners weren't used to their properties yet.

CremeDeSudo Fri 24-Jun-16 10:21:37

Llanmoor Homes. They're a family owned South Wales based builder. Have heard nothing but good things about them, their houses and their aftercare so hopefully minimal issues here!

Some really helpful tips, thank you everyone!

Will be shopping around for dongles, that's for sure..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now