Talk

Advanced search

buyers being over cautious?

(16 Posts)
Eachpeachpearplum1985 Tue 21-Jun-16 14:44:03

We're really not having much luck with our house sale. First sale fell through as the buyers mortgage company wouldn't land as we don't have building regs for a (very old) lift conversion but we do have indemnity insurance.

Found some new (first time) buyers who have an issue with the lack of building regs although it doesn't seem to be an issue with their mortgage company. They want us to get the work checked and bring it up to building regs standards. It wont pass building regs currently, would require building work and notifying the council that we don't have building regs would invalidate the insurance. The loft is structurally sound and was very well done.

They are also asking us to complete a boiler check (we have done this as boiler is now a year old), check the electrics and weirdly, a water check. I have no idea what a water check is plus I think that that's their responsibility like getting a survey done?

They brought a builder round and have indicated that they will be asking for money off based on work he says needs doing. The only thing that is needed is some repairs to the chimney. We made this clear before they put in their offer and explained how much we had been quoted.

What would you do in this situation?

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Tue 21-Jun-16 15:02:04

I'd be saying in general it's sold as seen and it's up to them if they want to do any surveys and further checks.

But, I wouldn't be buying a house where the loft extension hasn't been signed off. Or I wouldn't expect to pay as much as for one where it has all been signed off properly. How old are you talking about? Building regulations have been around for quite a while...

jerryfudd Tue 21-Jun-16 15:06:46

I think you need to drop the price to reflect that the loft hasn't got necessary papers to make it a room and thus it's just a house with a loft not say a 4 bed (one being the conversion).

Eachpeachpearplum1985 Tue 21-Jun-16 16:12:54

The house was sold as a 2 bed with the loft being used as bedroom 3. We didn't do the lift and noe did the owner before us so it must be over 10 years. I hadn't anticipated it being an issue as our solicitors raised no concerns about it when we bought it hmm

Eachpeachpearplum1985 Tue 21-Jun-16 16:13:18

Sorry for auto correct typos

bibbitybobbityyhat Tue 21-Jun-16 16:15:27

I would be asking my solicitor and estate agent for their advice.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 21-Jun-16 16:17:19

It can't be classed as a bedroom without building regs albeit it may be used as a bedroom. I think the buyer will push for money off without it.

Eachpeachpearplum1985 Tue 21-Jun-16 16:21:09

How much money off are we talking? its up for £150,000. We haven't technically classed it as a 3 bed....

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Tue 21-Jun-16 16:23:18

OH is having similar issue OP. House sale was meant to have been finalised 4 mths ago. The mortgage people have OK'd it OH has but the buyers have sent round their surveyor for the 5th frelling time.

I'm not sure what they surveyor is going to pick up on visit no 5 that hasn't on the previous 4. I'm mightily pissed off because our life plans, babies, living together are on hold all because a buyer is getting cold feet then they are all over the property like a rash again.

There are no problems like yours though.

Just really feel your pain and sympathy.

CelticPromise Tue 21-Jun-16 16:29:28

I suppose it depends how competitive the market is. We sold a house like this, loft didn't meet current standards and no BR for removal of chimney breasts (done donkeys years ago). It came up in the full survey, they wanted some additional surveys and we said no, then agreed a token amount off the price in exchange for quick completion. But it was a sellers' market where we were.

whois Tue 21-Jun-16 16:36:17

They are being U. My buyers got like this – asking for things that were impossible to provide re old building work despite their own structural survey saying it was fine – and in the end we had to say ‘this is how it is, proceed on this basis or don’t proceed at all. Up to you.”

House is sold as seen - you are selling a 2 bed house + loft storage room. The work was carried out pre-1970 before requirements for building regs. You have purchased indemnity insurance for their benefit.

The buyers are welcome to have a structural survey to assess the safety of the loft storage room however you will not be undertaking any remedial work.

Again, buyers are welcome to have water and electrics checked, but that is at their own cost.

I wouldn’t offer any money off – you are not selling as a 3 bed. You have sold as a 2 bed + loft room.

jerryfudd Tue 21-Jun-16 16:45:09

If you are only selling as a 2 bed and it's priced accordingly then I think you have to be firmer with buyers. The loft is just storage. If they want to use as a room then they can buy as a 2 bed and do works needed thereafter. Think you have to be prepared for them to walk away or be prepared to knock money off to keep them. They seem up front as to their intentions ie they are going to ask for money off for work they deem necessary so it's your choice whether you give in to this or put it back on market and hope for better buyers

wowfudge Tue 21-Jun-16 16:56:22

What has the house been valued at by their mortgage lender? If it's the agreed sale price they haven't got a leg to stand on asking for a reduction. I would put it to them via the EA that it's priced as a two bed. If work is done to meet current building regs meaning the loft room can be classed as a third bedroom, you'll be putting the price up accordingly.

Bambooshoots14 Tue 21-Jun-16 17:01:50

We got £5k off a £380k house as was sold as 4 bed but loft hasn't been signed off (so only 3 bed)

We're selling now and it's being marketed as a 3 bed with an occasional loft room and we'll be clear it's not up to building reg. Hope we don't have this issue!

No I wouldn't contact council/ do work etc

namechangedtoday15 Tue 21-Jun-16 17:20:13

Sorry, I thought you'd marketed it as a 3 bed.

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Tue 21-Jun-16 17:22:32

Agree with the others, you're not classing it as a bedroom so it's sold as seen. Up to them then. They sound a pain anyway so if they walk away it's not a big loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now