Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What needs to be done between exchange and complete?

(9 Posts)
NoPlanYet Tue 21-Jun-16 08:34:15

I know this has been done to death before but I can't find a good thread to read.

Exchanged last week, completing in 6 weeks time. We're renting our current place out. I'm on top of everything that needs doing for that, though anyone with any tips about the small things that can get forgotten would be very welcome

What else needs doing before completion on our purchase? I've sorted insurance. Is it just booking removal van and doing some packing? We're paying for a packing service so there's not even much point doing much packing... I want to plan!

Savagebeauty Tue 21-Jun-16 08:40:13

Declutter
Redirect post
notify everyone official

rumbelina Tue 21-Jun-16 08:45:40

Make sure you have buildings insurance from now - it should start when you exchange. I can't remember why but we had quite a long gap between E&C and we had to sign to say we had buildings.

JT05 Tue 21-Jun-16 09:23:47

Sort out your broadband. Providers might need a lead in time.

Having said that, we took our own advice, but 3months later are still waiting for BT to provide it, although they have charged us. Weeks and months of promises and lies!
But that's a whole thread of its own!

specialsubject Tue 21-Jun-16 10:53:01

Redirect of post.
Broadband / phone arrangements
Contact car insurers to advise new address and date.
Declutter like mad. Run down food stocks and clean out empty cupboards!
Give new address to friends.

But I found that most of the address change stuff can't be done too far ahead - the council don't want to know until a few days before, for instance. Hence the redirect to catch all the duplicate letters after you move.

Near the time priorities are insurance, dvla and utilities.

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Tue 21-Jun-16 11:34:34

Return library books!!!!

Notify banks, savings account/ISA providers etc
Go through standing orders and direct debits list and cancel irrelevant ones, eg gym if moving out of area.
Also check doctors/dentists etc and if necessary register with new practices and give notice to old ones (don't have to do that but it speeds up records transfer)
TV licence transfer...

NoPlanYet Tue 21-Jun-16 19:11:24

Thanks for these. I hadn't really thought of getting a head start on broadband etc so that's a great idea.

Insurance is done for exchange. Switching old flat insurance to tenant-insurance is all in hand...

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 22-Jun-16 09:09:29

Currently doing this
Gas
Electric
Water
Council tax
Phone/broadband
Banks
Credit cards
Professional bodies
Insurance
DVLA - licence
- car registration
Pension
ISAs
I am PG student so university
HMRC
Book removals
Arrange removal any 'rubbish'
Delivery of any new items

8FencingWire Wed 22-Jun-16 09:32:24

Fab list lone, thank you!
All we need to do is exchange and complete now. There is no chain, so hopefully no surprises there.

Today my change of address cards arrived, I'm not going to open them so I don't jinx it, but there you go, first time ever I was organised enough.
Kondo-ing clothes this week.
I'm about to take a bath, but some comfy clothes on and start the ball rolling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now