Advanced search

Selling house in Republic of Ireland - Help please!

(7 Posts)
WhyHasAllTheRumGone Mon 20-Jun-16 20:04:47

My DF needs to sell his house to facilitate a move here with us. He has a buyer in place but I have a couple of questions if any one can help?
He holds the land deeds are these the same as house deeds in UK?
Can you recommend anyone for conveyancing just on a house sale?
Anything else we should be aware of?
Thanks in advance.

IntelligentPutty Mon 20-Jun-16 22:01:20

My mil is from and lives in Ireland..
As I recall its all VERY much about who you know.. Nothing like England in terms if business transactions.
Suggest he asks about town? Not very helpful I suppose!

KanyesVest Mon 20-Jun-16 22:09:09

AFAIK the deeds are the same. Any solicitor who has a general practice should be able to do the conveyancing. Whereabouts is he based? Small towns usually have a local solicitor who everyone knows. Has the buyer done a survey? They will probably need one if they are getting a mortgage, as well as a valuation, but it's not compulsory otherwise.

WhyHasAllTheRumGone Tue 21-Jun-16 07:03:53

He's in Tipperary. The local solicitor is part retired and only works Mondays! I thought there might be some sort of online service he could use but I haven't had much luck finding one. He called two others (about a week ago) who are local, they say they'll call back and neither have confused.

mineallmine Wed 22-Jun-16 00:03:23

I'm Irish and have sold 2 houses. He needs to just contact a solicitor, any solicitor will do but if the buyer is local, the buyer may be using the local solicitor so he will need to use a different one.
If he holds the deeds, then presumably there is no mortgage on the property? It's very straightforward, I'd imagine a similar process to that in the UK.

Decorhate Wed 22-Jun-16 06:12:57

There are lots of solicitors in Thurles. Has he tried there? Can give you a name if you are interested.

WhyHasAllTheRumGone Wed 22-Jun-16 09:10:37

Thanks all. He was worried about not having a paper copy of the deeds but after speaking to the PRAI it seems a folio number is sufficient. Also found a solicitor who answers the phone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now