Talk

Advanced search

Where to start with an extension? Do I need an architect? What finance options are available?

(5 Posts)
Splandy Mon 20-Jun-16 16:53:42

I want to add a side extension to our house. A current lean to will need to be knocked down. The external wall will be removed and I'd like to add in a utility room and downstairs loo. The boiler will need to be moved as will the soil pipes. An outhouse may possibly need to be knocked down, or incorporated into the extension. Where do you find an architect? I've been doing a lot of online research and seem to only come across companies doing very expensive and fancy extensions.

We have around 30k for this at the moment. I'm happy to save for another year or two, but want to look into finance options if we don't have the money by then. We are mortgage free and on a low income. Is it possible to mortgage your house for a small sum? I expect we would want 10k maximum. Do other people take out loans to cover this cost?

JT05 Mon 20-Jun-16 17:58:12

There will be a list of Architects in your area on line, through the Architects Registration Board.

Splandy Mon 20-Jun-16 18:07:14

I had a look there earlier this morning but only seemed to be able to find the big project companies I mentioned, or companies with broken websites, links not working etc. Didn't fill me with confidence! I only looked at the first two pages, perhaps I'll look more later.

poochiepants Mon 20-Jun-16 20:11:39

Where about are you?

Mottled Mon 20-Jun-16 20:24:03

You could have a look at your local council's planning page. As far as I know all planning applications are published on-line so you should be able to see examples of local architect's work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now