£400k budget in London

(17 Posts)
SyrizaSalou Wed 15-Jun-16 00:14:00

Where would you recommend? smile

Two bed property required, easy access to Euston and Holborn for morning commute ideally.

Currently looking at Crouch End, Archway, Cricklewood, Finsbury Park, Hendon, Colindale... Any other areas to add to list please?

Some green space (eg parks) nearby would be absolutely lovely, as would a parking space although this is not essential.

TheCyclist Wed 15-Jun-16 07:47:53

Leytonstone? Should be able to find something well within your budget. High Street is improving all the time.

There's also Leyton - bit more central, bit hipper, bit cheaper.

They're both on the Central Line - Holborn is about 15 minutes away. Loads of open space - spoiled for choice, really (Wanstead Flats, Olympic Park - Victoria Park a bit further... Lea Valley, etc).

(I'm the bloke who often pops up to recommend Leytonstone. I'm not employed by the E11 tourist board, but I love it here. smile ).

EllenTheEgret Wed 15-Jun-16 09:03:54

Ha! TheCyclist I am about to do the same but feeling slightly embarrassed cos I always do it!

Do you need a garden? If not, this one is in a lovely spot.
www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/54113383

EllenTheEgret Wed 15-Jun-16 09:11:43

Or this is absolutely gorgeous - bit further to walk to the flats/hollow Ponds but Francis Road is a nice little "high street".

I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it: www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/42429618

whois Wed 15-Jun-16 09:17:08

Yeah that is nice. The Abraham maisonettes are great - solidly built. And being 1st floor there is no one above you but you still get the benefit of direct garden access from steps at the back. That would be a solid buy.

NotCitrus Wed 15-Jun-16 10:14:14

More space and greenery, if slightly longer commute: Streatham orTulse Hill - Thameslink to City Thameslink on Holborn Viaduct, bus to Brixton or train to Victoria, then Victoria line to Euston.

Or Hammersmith/Barons Court might be better (more expensive), and walk from Temple up to Holborn?

NotCitrus Wed 15-Jun-16 10:15:10

doh, just get Piccadilly to Holborn, and H&C line to Euston Square from Hammersmith...

kirinm Wed 15-Jun-16 22:12:24

The Abraham flats were going for £430k+ earlier this year. At that price I would always be looking for potential issues - although it says lease is fine. It's too cheap!

Quodlibet Wed 15-Jun-16 22:50:09

That Abraham flat clearly needs a new kitchen and bathroom though (and therefore probably lots of other upgrading which has been cleverly disguised by good set dressing in the photos)

kirinm Thu 16-Jun-16 07:19:11

I suspect the market has slowed down a little too. People were offering £50k over asking in March.

whois Thu 16-Jun-16 09:56:21

More space and greenery, if slightly longer commute: Streatham orTulse Hill

That just isn't true. That abrahams flat is about 10 mins walk form Epping Forest!

The Abrahams flat has been removed anyway :-(

whois Thu 16-Jun-16 09:57:56

I reckon this could be good - not private garden but communal. 2 doubles, sep kitchen and a large lounge. CLose to Leytonstone tube. Would suffer from A12 road noise a little in that location though.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42452241.html?utm_content=v2-ealertspropertyimage&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailupdates&utm_campaign=emailupdatesinstant&utm_term=buying&sc_id=20153298&onetime_FromEmail=true

soundsystem Thu 16-Jun-16 19:19:00

I was also coming on to say Leyton/Leytonstone, but I've been beaten to it!

TheCyclist you've made my day saying Leyton is a bit hipper! (Feels a bit like the poor relation of Leytonstone and Walthamstow sometimes!)

TheCyclist Thu 16-Jun-16 23:48:14

Ha - traditionally, Leyton was was always seen as Leytonstone's poorer neighbour. Things have definitely changed, though. Walking both high roads, it's clear Leytonstone is attracting the families and Peyton's attracting the cool kids.

soundsystem Fri 17-Jun-16 12:43:53

This one in Leyton:

www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/40080230?search_identifier=7d6e9dfa99349356e3042f56f0986643#DAiFGSulkB98L0fE.97

AvonCallingBarksdale Fri 17-Jun-16 16:46:50

We used to live in Crouch End - our 1 bed sold end of 2014 for £375K, so I'm not sure what you'd get there now for £400K. Unless you go "crouch end borders" as the EA used to say!!

whois Fri 17-Jun-16 17:40:43

That one looks nice soundsystem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now