Talk

Advanced search

bath taps - is there a difference between mixer taps and a single tap

(8 Posts)
livinginabox Tue 14-Jun-16 22:02:26

Not sure if the thread title makes sense. Im replacing the bath and wondered if there's a difference between having two separate mixer taps or a single tap that does hot to cold (not sure I'm explaining g myself very well!). Does it effect the functioning?

Anticyclone Tue 14-Jun-16 22:28:17

Hmm, I'm a bit confused by your wording.

A "mixer" tap is a tap that mixes hot and cold water together, so not sure why you'd need two of them? The whole point is you only need one as it can do both hot and cold.

BlueUggs Tue 14-Jun-16 22:30:42

You would only have one hole in the bath for a mixer and two holes for separate taps. I guess it's personal choice.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 14-Jun-16 22:31:13

Do you mean:

Which is better - a mixer tap, or separate hot and cold taps?

Doik Tue 14-Jun-16 22:40:17

I think the OP is asking about a mixer tap where you have both a hot and a cold knob, but it comes out of one place, versus a single lever tap which you turn one direction for hot and the other for cold. (Is that right?)

I prefer the first as it's often not easy to tell straight away which direction is which for the single lever (particularly for visitors), and I find the older style easier to get the right temperature. I don't actually know about the plumbing though.

livinginabox Tue 14-Jun-16 22:44:00

Yes that right Doik sorry I did t explain myself very well. I wondered if genres a difference in function - is one better than the other?

Doik Tue 14-Jun-16 22:53:16

There's some advice on which is best in here: www.fmmattsson.co.uk/upload/63017/All%20about%20taps_ENG.pdf, but it could always be biased to sell their products!

livinginabox Tue 14-Jun-16 23:04:05

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now