Is £1600 quote valid to install a shower?

(7 Posts)
Preeti19 Tue 14-Jun-16 13:38:53

Hello Mumsnet members,

I've a bath tub that has standard taps with tilings done just above the tub (not full height).

I'd like to get a new thermostatic shower installed for which I need: complete plumbing work (behind walls, etc.), new shower, glass door that will sit above the bath tub, full height tiling - so that walls are safe.

I've got a quote from on service provider that sums up to £1600. They will provide new shower, Merlyn MB3B bath screen, full height tiling to full shower area and any water pipe-line work required, plus, 2 year warranty.

I've got another quote from other service on call and they said somewhere around £1200-£1400.

I tried to contact other service but most of them want me to pay small fee so that they can visit my place to check everything. I've never done this before and have no idea about the cost range.

Is the price range (£1200-1600) valid for this work in the market?

Pradaqueen Wed 15-Jun-16 05:51:07

Where are you in the UK? Sounds expensive but they are managing everything I guess. I would do some research on the cost of the brands used and decide if it's a fair mark up. Tiling cost is usually charged per metre. Do not pay any potential contractor for a quote the cost of which which is not redeemable against booking the job.

Preeti19 Wed 15-Jun-16 09:41:13

My house is in Aylesham, Kent. This is a quote from the builder for my new build house. The standard without extra charge includes bathtub with half tiling done.

The £1600 is for the upgrade option which will give, full height tiling (£300), new shower with holder that will be attached to the wall, Meryln MB3B glass door (£430).

I've tried to contact others to get quote but they want to assess it first, which is not possible as the build isn't ready yet!

If I don't do this now with builder and try to do it in future, they will have to remove my bathtub, tilings of one side, remove wall, etc.. to install the new shower and then setup the new pipe work, etc.

I'm actually not sure whether this is the correct cost to pay for this amount of work as I've never done it before and I'm not able to get quotes to get an idea because everyone wants to assess.

justaweeone Thu 16-Jun-16 07:24:07

These showers are fitted without needing to have pipes in the wall
It is fed through the ceiling
http://www.screwfix.com/p/aqualisa-visage-hp-ceiling-fed-thermostatic-digital-mixer-shower-chrome/5781J?kpid=KINASEKPID&cmmmc=GoogleLocalDatafeedBathrooms%20and%20Kitchens&cmmmc=Google--Shopping%20-%20Bathrooms%20and%20Kitchens--Shopping%20-%20Bathrooms%20and%20Kitchens--all%5Cbathrooms%20&%20kitchens%5Cshowers%5Caqualisad496bda9-db6c-485a-a642-e6250828cdc4&gclid=CPWGr_jzq80CFRITGwodSY4DPQ
There are lots of different models and some are also pumped
Fantastic showers
Your quotes seems s lot

justaweeone Thu 16-Jun-16 07:26:50

Posted too soon
I used to sell new builds and they do charge a premium for extra
You also buy extra tiles and have it tiled after
Or ask for a quote just for the extra tiling
Then have shower and shower panel fitted independently after completion

justaweeone Thu 16-Jun-16 07:29:15

Shower screen
http://m.builderdepot.co.uk/merlyn-bath-screen-900mm-x-1500mm-two-panel-folding-square-silver.html?gclid=CLuLyMD1q80CFeop0wodYPoJGw

HeirOfNothingInParticular Fri 17-Jun-16 18:29:52

As it is a new building, how about asking them for a reduction not to put in any tiling in bathroom and then arrange for your own plumber/tiler once you have moved in. I had my electric shower replaced with a themostatic one off central heating and it wasn't a big job. As I had nice tiling, but cut into the wall in the hallway for piping. If you have no tiling then they wouldn't have to do that as they could tile over to make good. You could get a nice shower door and shower from less than £500.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now