Advanced search

Building control query

(9 Posts)
wowfudge Mon 13-Jun-16 16:25:21

We have some work in mind for our house and are contemplating using an independent building control service rather than the local Council's. One reason is because some of them offer an initial feasibility discussion before you start incurring costs.

Has anyone used an independent building control service? What did you think? If you have previous experience of dealing with the council building control officer, how did they compare?

This isn't a huge project we have in mind, but we have a period property with many original features and would want to comply with the regs without destroying what makes it special.

lalalonglegs Mon 13-Jun-16 17:13:53

I've used independent building inspectors - on both occasions they were a dream to work with compared to cumudgeons from the local authority (and I get that they are understaffed and overstretched): very proactive when discussing plans and letting me know exactly what would be needed to pass the inspection, I could make an appointment rather than be told that they would turn up at some point over one day or the next. I would definitely go the private route again.

wowfudge Mon 13-Jun-16 17:19:58

Thanks lala - that reinforces what I had been thinking.

If you don't mind me asking, did you find their fees reasonable?

lalalonglegs Mon 13-Jun-16 17:46:06

I can't remember what they were exactly but they seemed pretty comparable to what the LA charged - slightly more but not outrageously so considering what I think was a better level of service. On both occasions, we were looking at quite small one-off jobs rather than a major project and used one-man bands rather than a major firm.

Imperialleather2 Mon 13-Jun-16 18:11:55

We've gone down the private route for our loft and now using the same company for the kitchen.

It's a far more collaborative process. For example they've already said we need to build up.our patio otherwise they won't be able to sign off. I cam imagine the LA announcing it at the final inspection!!

Our kit hen project is circa 50k for thr build and their fee is £800 plus vat.

TheTeaFairy Tue 14-Jun-16 16:08:49

Interesting thread: can anyone tell me where to start looking for an independent building control expert (for Cornwall).

Thank you smile

wowfudge Tue 14-Jun-16 17:01:37

I just googled it - they are approved and there are lists by location.

waterandtea Tue 14-Jun-16 17:20:00

I used an independent building control inspector on a project and he was helpful, quick and easy to deal with. Not dealt with a council one to compare but I will use an independent one again for my next project

TheTeaFairy Wed 15-Jun-16 09:31:00

Thank you wowfudge smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now