Advanced search

Builder/engineer/surveyor? Who do I need?

(11 Posts)
changedname563 Sun 12-Jun-16 16:24:23

I have a semi-detached 3 storey town house that is 13 years old. Have owned it since it was first built.

When it was new there were no cracks inside or out. In the last 6 months there has been a crack appear outside -firstly into the side of a window on the second floor, about a metre long, and then a smaller one into the corner of a first floor window. Today a third has appeared coming out of the same second floor window.

Internally, coving has started to move away from walls and split in the corners (where previously everything was smooth - now there are cracks). I also think that the architrave is coming apart at the joints (gaps where there were none before?).

I think the house is moving!! DH thinks I am being silly....

If I need to get someont to inspect- who?

BennyTheBall Sun 12-Jun-16 16:27:44

You need a structural engineer. Make sure they are MIStructE.

changedname563 Sun 12-Jun-16 16:35:56

Thank you!

Roystonv Sun 12-Jun-16 16:36:56

Where are yo?

Roystonv Sun 12-Jun-16 16:37:36

Can recommend someone in Cumbria

HappyGoLuckyGirl Sun 12-Jun-16 17:03:35

A building surveyor would be able to help you and diagnose defects in your property.

originalmavis Sun 12-Jun-16 17:05:24

Structural engineer. Or me. I'm good at diagnosing cracks and damp patches (engineer dad).

changedname563 Sun 12-Jun-16 18:00:35

I'm in North Devon.

changedname563 Sun 12-Jun-16 19:37:06

External cracks. Top window about 6 months ago, other window today.

Roystonv Sun 12-Jun-16 20:09:52

Definitely a structural engineer

Coughingchildren5 Mon 13-Jun-16 10:28:07

You need to contact your buildings insurance who will appoint a structural engineer to inspect and monitor the issue. There is no point commissioning your own engineers when your insurance company might not even accept their report.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now