Talk

Advanced search

1500 mm or 1600 mm bath - does anyone have one? Too small?

(17 Posts)
FinallyGotAnIPhone Thu 09-Jun-16 20:54:38

I am getting my bathroom done next week and I am planning to replace an old cupboard with a standalone shower, so I will go from having a bath, toilet and sink, to a bath, shower, toilet and sink. I'm sure the current bath in my house is "normal" sized, i.e. 1700mm, not too deep etc.

I'm considering getting a smaller bath so the bathroom isn't too cramped- even though it should fit a standard bath (it's a typical 1930s semi bathroom-separate toilet has evidently been knocked through to make a reasonable sized bathroom).

I've been looking at baths in showrooms and I saw a 1500mm one - i thought it looked OK? I've seen a few threads on here where people are aghast at the thought of 1500mm baths. Are they really that bad/ too small?

I have two DC (6 and 3) who take baths together. I don't mind the odd bath - but rarely take them. Guessing I might when I have a nice fancy bathroom. I'm 5'9".

Any opinions??

ThisToo Thu 09-Jun-16 21:04:57

We have a 1500mm bath because our tiny bathroom physically will not fit anything larger. DC (3 and 9) do not bath together so not a problem as it's still plenty big enough for them DH and I (6'2" and 5'8") shower 95% of the time so also not an issue for us. Although tbh, if we had the space, we'd choose a standard bath over a 1500mm one and indulge in a relaxing soak more often as a result.

NarcyCow Thu 09-Jun-16 21:07:59

Ours is 1600 but extra wide and extra deep. We fit 5 and 4 year olds in it easily, and I've bee known to get in with them both as well. When I'm in it alone I can't stretch out fully though, so I end up with my feet up on the edge of the bath. It's comfy though, I don't find it to be a problem.

didireallysaythat Thu 09-Jun-16 21:26:53

It depends a bit on the angles of the ends. You need to climb into them in showrooms. A slightly wider one offsets a shorter one for me.

kerbys Thu 09-Jun-16 21:45:53

Don't do what I did, spent ages finding the right length bath but forgot about the width. I'm not skinny and the bath isn't wide, it's not a great combination. It felt OK when I tested it but I didn't put my shoulders in.

BillyGoatGruff007 Thu 09-Jun-16 23:44:07

I've got a 1500mm shower bath (squared at the shower end) and four grandchildren bathe together in it easily when they're here.

FinallyGotAnIPhone Fri 10-Jun-16 07:46:42

Thanks everyone

SquinkiesRule Fri 10-Jun-16 17:34:30

We had a 1500 at our old house, I fit in it fine, but I'm only short. Two kids fit in it together just fine too.

DubiousCredentials Fri 10-Jun-16 17:52:44

We had a similar dilemma and decided against a small bath in the end and had just a shower cubicle. I regret it. Really miss having the option of a bath as do the dc.

DubiousCredentials Fri 10-Jun-16 17:53:41

Ignore me - I realise you will have both blush

minipie Fri 10-Jun-16 19:20:49

We had a 1600 in our previous place (we managed to squeeze it in by taking all the old plaster off the walls). It was fine for 5'3 me but 6'3 dh didn't like it.

ChishandFips33 Fri 10-Jun-16 23:48:01

1500 here. Similar height to you - chose it over a standard as I can have my feet at the end and 'sit up' to read without sliding forward. Much more comfortable/supportive on the back

If I want to soak, I slink down and my knees bend out of the water but they did that in the old standard size bath

ShowOfHands Fri 10-Jun-16 23:51:54

We have a 1200!

AvaCrowder Fri 10-Jun-16 23:56:33

I'd go for shorter bath, I float around in mine, prefer to wedge my feet up and relax even if my knees poke out.

FinallyGotAnIPhone Sat 11-Jun-16 20:30:11

Thx all. Been to some bath showrooms today and got in some baths!! Think have decided against the 1500 but will maybe go for 1600 ...

lalamumto3 Sat 11-Jun-16 20:52:48

Have a look at the Bette Oceon 1600, it is the same internal dimensions as a 1700 but has narrow edges. You can't put taps on the bath, so have to use either wall taps or a bath filler.

HippyPottyMouth Sat 11-Jun-16 21:36:14

We had a 1600 in the old house. It was perfect for me at 5'6", but DH at 6'3" found it too small. We now have a giant P-shaped monstrosity, only 1800 long but bloody huge, and I could virtually swim in it. I can't reach the end while sitting up, so I can't get comfy to read my book. DH likes it but very rarely uses it. It's used every other day for cleaning the toddler, taking a disproportionate amount of hot water for the task in hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now