Talk

Advanced search

Annoyed with Estate Agents

(7 Posts)
Southernc0mfortmirror Wed 08-Jun-16 17:29:57

I'm mainly just letting off steam here, so I don't send an e-mail or make a phone call I regret later. I know this isn't the worst problem in the world and there's little than can be done about it.

I'm trying to sell my flat and decided to go with the EA who sold me the flat, as they're familiar with the block, leasehold requirements and mortgages. It's been on the market for 4 weeks and I don't think the EA has done anything right so far!

First set of pics taken were awful. Flat looked tiny as they'll do stepped right into each room to take the photo, missing a good chunk of the room out. I recognised some of the issues may have been due to my stuff being in the way so had a thorough declutter and they came out again to re-do. New photos slightly better, although they still make my flat, which has massive windows and is very bright, look very dull.

Also no exterior shot on the online listing. They have included one on the brochure, but that makes it look like my flat is on the ground floor which it isn't. The flats that are higher up tend to sell for more, so this could be important.

They've not included a floor plan, even though they definitely have one. I've asked for feedback previously on the MSE forum and they said a floor plan was needed. I was assured the floor plan would be included, so very disappointed.

The listing in Rightmove reads like it was written by someone with a very shaky grasp of English and they've left out some important info, particularly relating to the car parking at the building.

I spoke to the EA today as we're half way through the 8 week exclusivity period. Apparently I've had two cancelled viewings as they were from investors and the leasehold forbids subletting. You would think this is worth mentioning on the listing...

Anyway, EA claims the only flats selling are the ones on the market for £70000. This is just under £20000 less it's one the market for now. I may as well sell to a fast property seller, but I wouldn't be able to buy any of the properties I'm looking at and should just stay put! What she said is also absolute bollocks! A 2 bed flat here hasn't sold for less than £70000 in at least two years! 1 has sold for £74000 and 2 for £79950, but those were on much lower floors than mine. 3 flats have sold for £85000+ in the last few weeks, although none of these through the agent I'm using.

I'm annoyed that they've lied, although I know this is standard for EAs, and annoyed that they've told me a lie that's so easily disproved by a few clicks on Rightmove!

Anyway, vent over. I've got the EA of the flats that have recently sold coming round to do a valuation next week. I can't see original EA pulling their finger out in the next 4 weeks so I'll risk a double listing!

Tempted to fire off an angry e-mail which will probably be shooting myself in the foot. Then again, they can't get any worse!

Southernc0mfortmirror Wed 08-Jun-16 17:30:44

So many typo's, sorry

whois Wed 08-Jun-16 17:33:32

Always review the text for RM and the brochure. Always insist they list important infomation i.e. which floor you're on, floor plans with compass etc

Some EAs are so shoddy!

bookgirl1982 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:00:45

I would email to say that you are cancelling with immediate effect as they have failed to deliver the promised service. And find yourself a better agent.

Fidelia Thu 09-Jun-16 06:21:48

Yes, do email to cancel the contract, they normally have a 4 week notice period which has to be served beforehand, so you need to do it now.

Luckystar1 Thu 09-Jun-16 07:12:40

Also, sorry not really to do with the EA but are you very sure that all sub-letting is prohibited? Usually there is a carve out for ASTs (as flats in particular are attractive for investors)

Southernc0mfortmirror Thu 09-Jun-16 20:12:10

Thanks for your advice smile I've e-mailed the EA today to have the listings pulled. They're now offering me free premium listing in Rightmove, but I'm refusing as I have no faith in them. I have another agent, who have sold flats within the block in the last few weeks, coming out early next week.

I did sign an 8 week exclusivity agreement, which is just over half way through but, as the market is a bit sluggish, I'd be very lucky to sell before that runs out. I don't think I'd sell at all with my current agent though.

The no sub-letting seems to be pretty strictly enforced. A letting recently turned up on Rightmove which was reported by other residents and quickly removed. I'm sure some are getting away with it, but the official word is no sub-lets. I can see the benefits for leaseholders, but the flat would have gone by now if I could sell to investorsenvy

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now