Talk

Advanced search

North-facing kitchen - what colour/type of wood would you go for?

(8 Posts)
SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Tue 07-Jun-16 14:43:00

... for units?

And floors...?

WE would love a granite worktop so would choose something to tone in with whatever units we choose.

I am thinking that wood would give more warmth, so long as it's not too dark. Something oaky or elm...? I love walnut finishes but might be a bit dark.

Obvioulsy we need to think about the lighting but I want something that looks warm and inviting in the daylight. We have plenty of natural light in the room but it is very 'north-facing' light iyswim.

Currenly the kitchen (we inherited it from previous owners and I hate it) is very veyr stark WHITE which I think is cold and univiting. The floorboards are ash-coloured too which makes the whole place feel very stark. White worktops too.

I adore grey in all its forms but wondering if a grey kitchen might be a bad idea in north-facing room?

Thanks all!!

JT05 Tue 07-Jun-16 15:24:46

Our North facing kitchen, in new house, is white ash shaker style, with beech work top. Installed by previous owner and the floor is matt granite tiles. The walls are painted pink! Done by previous owner, they are great!

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Tue 07-Jun-16 15:27:52

JT that sounds stunning actually... what shade of pink, can I ask?

Is your house modern?

Ours is Edwardian (terrace) so I don't know if what looks fab in a new-build might look wrong in ours...

Your floor in particular sounds fab.

bojorojo Tue 07-Jun-16 16:35:15

I have a mix of grey and soft white shaker units. The walls are a light reflecting very pale grey. Work tops are grey flecked granite. The kitchen faces north and east but is an orangery so lots of light. The old kitchen faced east, (this is a new orangery and replaced the old conservatory, cloakroom and laundry room) and was dark! I had the lights on and that had two windows and white units. Therefore, try and introduce light. There is no substitute for it but some paint colours do light up a darker room. Also pay close attention to lighting. Task lighting will be vital.

minipie Tue 07-Jun-16 16:56:36

Honestly if you have a north facing room and want a granite (ie dark) work top then I would go for light painted units. I think wood would be too dark. It doesn't have to be a stark bright white, there are plenty of soft off whites with warmth.

We have a kitchen with not much natural light (it's S facing technically but it's a long thin room and the windows are a long way from the cooking area). Worktop is granite. We've painted the units in Slate II from Paint & Paper Library which is a very pale stone colour - a warm off white that is not grey or yellowy. Floors are limestone - so pale but warm coloured and with flecks in so dirt doesn't show quite so easily (I would suggest porcelain tiles that look like stone instead of real stone however). We also have a glass splashback which helps reflect light.

JT05 Tue 07-Jun-16 17:45:10

Someday the colour is Ice Pink made by Focus DIY World of Colour range. I don't know if this is still available. I got the info from a half used tin left behind!
We are also in an Edwardian house. The kitchen is about 9ft wide by 18 long. We think the units do harmonise with the era of the house. One of the reasons it appealed to us was the way the previous owner had modernised the house, but kept the Edwardian feel and features.

MissMargie Tue 07-Jun-16 19:13:39

I always think you must put samples of the colour in the room to see how it looks as the light coming in changes things.

Someone on here suggested getting a role of lining paper and painting it with different paint shades to see how they looked. Good idea as it's easier than painting patches of the wall.

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Tue 07-Jun-16 19:39:51

Thanks everyone!

On the basis of all this advice I think I am leaning, as I always end up doing, towards grey... I'm obsessed with grey, I'd have everything in our house in different shades of it if I could! And I have always adored grey so I think I will still love a soft-grey kitchen years down the line. I tend to get tired of certain types/shade of wood more easily.

OK, will have a look at painted pale grey units and my beloved granite top and try to find other ways to inject a bit of 'warmth' including with lighting.

Thanks all!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now