Someone's viewing our house tomorrow.. Any tips?

(33 Posts)
Star2015 Fri 03-Jun-16 20:15:24

We,ve de cluttered and cleaned so from that point of view we are ready, but do you have any tips for the actual viewing?

Our house only went on the market this afternoon, so it's our first viewing tomorrow.

TIA!

ladypie21 Fri 03-Jun-16 20:28:03

Don't have a smell of coffee or baking bread....makes me think there is an underlying smell you're trying to hide! Have curtains/blinds fully open and keep personal effects and family pictures hidden. Makes it easier to imagine living there! Good luck!

whois Fri 03-Jun-16 20:33:53

Are you doing the viewing?

Be friendly, welcoming.
Be unobtrusive but also on hand for quesitons.
Make sure they feel free to open cupbards and stuff to check stoorage.
Maybe offer them the 'tour' and then melt away and lwt them have a nosy round without you in the same room.
Gentle nice music on.

overthemolehill Fri 03-Jun-16 20:35:20

A personal preference of mine is to be shown around by the vendor/agent and then being given the chance to look around again alone (if you are comfortable doing this) as it really gives you chance to absorb the home and the details.

Also don't cook anything strong smelling tonight or tomorrow, I don't know why it would, but it's really off putting.

Make your beds perfectly, messy beds makes me think unorganised which possibly equals difficulties in future processes if we were to buy!
Random I know!! confused

SellFridges Fri 03-Jun-16 20:36:54

I prefer the owner to be present. Estate Agents are useless in my experience and seem to know little about the details.

Star2015 Fri 03-Jun-16 20:38:36

Ok thanks for the tips.. My house is so clean and tidy I'm scared to sit down in case I unfluff a cushion 😂 Definitely no cooking!!

Will let you know how it goes!!

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Fri 03-Jun-16 20:41:48

Open all your windows to totally air the house out, but shut them again with enough time for the house to warm up to a comfortable level (if needs be put the heating on for a little bit). A cold house is off-putting.

I agree with the others: quickly show them round and then offer to let them look round themselves (and yes, it's ok to open cupboards, etc). They might say no (if they're not interested) but most viewers will want to look round themselves. I went and sat in the living room and put some quiet music on (so people could talk without being overheard). The viewers came back to the living room when they were done and asked any questions.

Jbck Fri 03-Jun-16 20:44:10

Loo seats all closed!

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 03-Jun-16 20:44:19

Just sold mine a few weeks ago 3 different buyers interested...same as what everyone else has said but I made sure I mentioned things they might not necessarily know about the area eg lots of families viewing ours so they knew about the schools etc but I told them about local library groups, family fun days, scouts etc to appeal to that kind of group.
Positive things about the neighbours, area, nice quiet area etc you need to sell the area as much as the house

fuctifino Fri 03-Jun-16 20:45:07

Get the agent to do the viewing and if you have dogs, take them out for a walk.

nothanksbyenow Fri 03-Jun-16 20:51:57

Let them walk ahead of you in any smaller rooms, then stand at the door so that you're not making the room seem even smaller (bathroom for example). Clear surfaces and beds made as a pp mentioned.

SavoyCabbage Fri 03-Jun-16 20:54:06

I want to see if there is a place for the ironing board and the Hoover.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 03-Jun-16 21:11:34

Clear out any junk from storage cupboards and hide it in your car boot. Makes your storage room look more generous.

Fresh flowers are nice.

Really, really tidy. grin

JT05 Sat 04-Jun-16 00:28:27

Remove cleaning products, household and personal, from the bathroom. Fresh towels, neatly folded.

Star2015 Sat 04-Jun-16 07:21:54

Thanks everyone. We have a couple of small rooms (spare room and bathroom) so the tip about them going in first is a good one.

Unfortunately the people coming cannot come during the estate agents viewing times so we are having to do the viewing ourself.

We've REALLY made an effort to declutter, tidy and clean so I'm really hoping our house sells so we can put an offer in on our dream home!

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

SarfEast1cated Sat 04-Jun-16 07:39:43

We were told to depersonalise our place before viewings, so removed all family photos and kids drawings. It made the place more neutral and easier for buyers to imagine themselves in I think.

ReggaeShark Sat 04-Jun-16 07:51:18

Remove any items hanging on oven door handles. Empty kitchen bin. Do you have any pets?

Watto1 Sat 04-Jun-16 07:55:32

Hide any pet beds/feeding bowls. I had feedback from a viewer saying she wouldn't buy the house as she was allergic to cats. WattoCat wasn't actually included in the sale but his mere presence put her off!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 04-Jun-16 07:58:16

Plan the tour route.
If possible, start and finish in the two best rooms, so give a good first impression with a great kitchen, put the boring bedrooms in the middle, end in living room is it has nice view of garden.

If there is room for improvement or extension, mention it. This gives viewers the idea that there is scope to increase value of property.
Ie "house three doors down with same layout has loft conversion"

Luckystar1 Sat 04-Jun-16 08:06:34

Iron the bedding (you can do it while on the bed). Check all light bulbs etc are fully working.

Don't do anything too obviously 'show home' like baskets of toiletries and slippers etc, but if you do have hand soap etc on show make sure it's a fancy one...!

Get rid of shampoos etc, have only 1 towel in the bathroom - a clean hand towel, no semi dry towels from this morning!!

Good luck! Oh is also suggest sitting in the most out of the way room doing 'work' while they walk around. I'd also suggest only 1 of you does the viewing, with a preset answers 'list'. It saves any butting in and the impression of trying to desperately oversell.

Don't offer tea/coffee!!

seastargirl Sat 04-Jun-16 08:09:03

Please please please check the toilets before they arrive, the number of houses we've viewed with dirty toilets amazes me!

Have answers to questions such as boiler age/servicing ready so you look organised and like you look after the place.

Have ladders etc ready for loft access and keys for any sheds.

I've always asked if people would like me to show them around or would they prefer to look by themselves. I'd far rather look around by myself, I really don't need someone to tell me that this is a bathroom/bedroom etc!

wowfudge Sat 04-Jun-16 09:58:02

If you have children - one of you take them out and the other do the viewing.

sellotape12 Sat 04-Jun-16 10:16:14

Having just been through this here are my tips:
- Don't be there. Let the agent do it. You will try too hard, be pushy, and it's uncomfortable for a buyer to meet them current owner.
- Make the bed as you would find a hotel bed made: crisp with propped pillows
- Try get your laundry basket empty. You can't smell your own house smell but others can!
- Write a simple letter to go with the agent's brochure about what you love most about your home. Get some ideas from the Design Sponge site. This was the clincher for us! Our buyers said it made them feel they could start a future and make memories here
- Tidy the garden and add Window boxes
- don't leave mail or toys out, and remove clutter (obviously)

Good luck! Make sure your agent gives you detailed feedback

ChitChatarunga Sat 04-Jun-16 10:20:57

I agree with wowfudge. If you're all there, and then they come, they'll only see how small the house feels the moment you ask people round!

Agree, really expensive, new top of the range duvet cases and pillow cases.

concertplayer Sat 04-Jun-16 10:43:18

If you have a nice garden then let them out there themselves without u
but point out shed etc Make sure all trimmed etc
If you have done any improvements make sure they know and any
guarantees you have on anything as well which will of course come with
their purchase.
Relax and be confident .
Keep all your sanitaryware sparkling clean and the windows as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now