Advanced search

Rubbish architect got measurements wrong on planning application

(9 Posts)
thisisbloodyridiculous Fri 03-Jun-16 08:23:50

We are halfway through an extension. The builder mentioned to me yesterday that the measurements on the plans provided by the architect were out by 60cm - do we need to speak to the planning department?

The extension is a first floor extension over an existing ground floor so it was always going to match the size of the existing ground floor iyswim but obviously we got planning permission based on plans that didn't have the right measurements.

wowfudge Fri 03-Jun-16 08:32:36

Your first step is to speak to the architect and verify if what the builder has said is correct. If there has been a mistake then the architect needs to rectify things. Ask them to come to site as a matter of urgency.

A lot of first floor extensions have to be built set back from the ground floor building line at the front - 60cm sounds to me like that kind of measurement, but I don't know what your plans are for, etc.

JT05 Fri 03-Jun-16 08:52:48

I agree with wowfudge, there may be a valid reason for the difference.

If it is an error, then the planning dept may allow a variation, that would not require starting the planning application again.

SoupDragon Fri 03-Jun-16 08:57:08

Yes, you need to speak to the architect in the first instance and take it from there.

My first floor extension is set back from the front of the ground floor (even through they where actually built at the same time) and it's probably by around 60cm. I would have thought the builder would know this though..

OldLagNewName Fri 03-Jun-16 13:42:57

It could be a mistake though. Our architect made a mistake in our plans which made the roof physically impossible to build. The council didn't notice and passed the plans. When the builder spotted it, we had to get the plans redrawn correctly and back through planning. It was a faff but didn't slow us down much and the architects paid for the redrawing and second planning fee. We were very cross though!

thisisbloodyridiculous Fri 03-Jun-16 15:49:20

Architect is away on holiday for 3 weeks and build is due to finish in about 10 days sad

wowfudge Fri 03-Jun-16 16:53:22

Is the architect a one man band? If not then someone at the firm needs to take it up for you. I bet the architect has a smart phone - email or ring him or her as this is urgent.

RaeSkywalker Fri 03-Jun-16 17:09:50

Oh no, what a nightmare! Are you sure that the builder is right? I'd agree with others- is there an emergency contact number for your architect, or others at their practice? Chances are that somewhere on the drawings it will say 'in event of site discrepancies, please contact the architect'.

Just to clarify, is the architect actually a registered architect, or an architectural designer? If they call themselves an architect, they must be registered with the ARB- and you can complain to the ARB of you are concerned about their quality of work (you need to give the architect a chance to rectify things before complaining though):

whois Fri 03-Jun-16 17:53:12

Agree wiht PP that this is a call the Architect's firm and get them on it as a matter of prioroity to check if an error - or call him on holiday if a 1 man band.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now