Talk

Advanced search

High Wycombe Marsh - Wye Dene

(11 Posts)
bookmarked1 Wed 01-Jun-16 15:57:48

Hi there

Does anyone know or live around the High Wycombe Marsh area?

We saw a newbuild development called Wye Dene which is just off the A40/London Road. Berkeley Homes are the developers. It looks very nice and not too bad for London commutes.

Thanks in advance!

choppolata Wed 01-Jun-16 19:33:45

Hi - I'm about to move away from Wycombe if we ever manage to exchange bloody contracts and my house is about 5 mins walk from Wye Dean, behind the big Rye park. Whenever I walk through the estate I think how quiet it is, never seem to see/hear any people! It is a nice development (did you see the baby ducks?) and I will miss Wycombe which is great for shopping etc. For a regular train commute to London it'll be a 20 min walk though (parking is expensive at the station), 5 mins longer in the dark if you're not happy cutting through the station alley/car park. A taxi is only £4 though. Traffic on the London Road can be awful particularly if you have to come out of the retail park exit. Sometimes have to wait ages to get onto the road.

bookmarked1 Wed 01-Jun-16 19:52:00

Thanks for this!

So would you recommend moving to the development? Hope you're not moving because of the area? Also, have you had any problems with flooding?

Fyaral Wed 01-Jun-16 19:58:03

High Wycombe is a notoriously shot town. Massive inequality, race issues and gang warfare. DP used to live there and we would not walk down his street if it was dark. We heard gunshots at least once. I also found the town centre utterly soulless.

On the flipside. He did live in the shittest but and there are some quite wealthy areas around. We did get the impression it was a town of 'haves' and 'havenots'.

choppolata Wed 01-Jun-16 20:22:32

When did you live there Fyaral? It has improved a lot in recent years. There are less desirable areas as you would expect from a big town but they are the overcrowded residential areas on the opposite side of town. We live right by the river on the Rye, no issues with flooding. Moving away because we wanted to buy some land. I've enjoyed living here, it's a nice straightforward commute into London and a five minute drive to countryside. Nice pub behind Wycombe Marsh as well, the General Havelock. Spend a weekend here and see what you think.

choppolata Wed 01-Jun-16 20:41:00

Re: flooding my house is on a hill so don't rely on my experience there!

BeckyWithTheMediocreHair Thu 02-Jun-16 00:10:01

Isn't that development on the floodplain?

Fyaral Thu 02-Jun-16 09:24:58

This was in 2012. He lived near the town centre in quite a crowded bit. Pretty sure he loved near a gang boundary as there would be group's intimidating each other often by a little crossroads in the street. He describes it as"a bloody awful town". He does say the further out from the town centre the nicer it got. Not sure I'd be comfortable living in a nice house in so divided an area with so much deprivation. The atmosphere betwee different group's was not friendly.

Coconutty Thu 02-Jun-16 09:27:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bookmarked1 Thu 02-Jun-16 12:22:07

There seem to be quiet a few varied response on high Wycombe. Will pop over there this weekend and have a look again

allwornout0 Thu 02-Jun-16 16:30:44

I find High Wycombe much like most towns of the same size, there are nice and not so nice parts. Yes, like most towns there are gangs (in the not so nice parts) but even towns like Marlow have gangs in their not so nice areas as well.

Personally, I'm not so keen on the east side of Wycombe where the Wye Dene estate is being built. I find the London Rd really really busy all the time and don't think that I could stand having to use it every day. I have also read that there is often problems with parking tickets being issued in the Wye Dene estate.

Like others have said, go and have a look during different times of day and see what you think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now