Talk

Advanced search

Restoring wood floors

(6 Posts)
AbandonGups Tue 31-May-16 22:46:19

We've been quoted about £1k to sand a wooden floor in a living / dining area (one space) of a Victorian semi. Not a massive area, but looking to need filling in parts and a stain / finish. Is £1k about right do you think? So hard to arrange to get people to come and quote...but keen to get on and do it before we paint.

engineersthumb Wed 01-Jun-16 00:20:18

It depends upon the material and the finish that you want. If it's a hardwood floor and it needs repair and polishing that could be quite time consuming. If it softwood boards and It's going to be sealed in polyurethane then it may be a bit steap. Incedently why do you want todo the gfloor before you paint the room?

AbandonGups Wed 01-Jun-16 18:03:08

Thanks. Pine boards, which the co have said need some filling. But I'd say good condition generally.
Want to get a Limey/ pale finish (as currently an old orangey varnish).

Hmmm - the floor co said to paint after due to dust and potential knocks to skirting. Would that not be your recommendation? We are looking to have all gloss work (skirting, doors etc) as well as walls painted.

Thanks for help

Werksallhourz Wed 01-Jun-16 18:08:56

Crikey, that seems a bit steep. Are you in the South East?

We had our bedroom, landing, two bedrooms and our stairs sanded and varnished for about £1000 three years ago. But we are in the North where prices are a bit cheaper.

If I were you, I'd get three quotes and see. I remember one of the firms we approached quoted something very high.

Werksallhourz Wed 01-Jun-16 18:11:28

Also it might be worth contacting floor sanding firms in other parts of the country. We went with a local firm, only to discover that the guy that turned up to do the sanding had come up from Oxford and was going to sleep overnight in a local travelodge.

Moving15 Wed 01-Jun-16 23:43:30

I would expect to pay that much for a through lounge type space.

I am surprised they are telling you to paint afterwards. It makes me wonder if they are using old machines.

I think you should get some more quotes and then decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now