Talk

Advanced search

Am I mad or would you....?

(17 Posts)
Draylon Fri 27-May-16 14:34:57

...cut a 6" strip of carpet away from your skirting boards to sand and repaint them prior to getting a new carpet laid??

4br 'estate' house, stairs and upstairs all carpeted, but at least 7 or 8 years ago; it's grimy in places and certainly has lost its stretch, so definitely in need of replacement; but, the thing is, I don't want to be 'carpetless' for the 4-7 days it might take me to sand and repaint all the white-work upstairs, or at least the skirting boards! Besides which, the carpet layer would expect to remove (and dispose of!) the old carpet and lay new all at the same time, wouldn't they?

I spent days and days last year doing the skirting boards of another house where I had to wedge the carpet down as I went, all the way around, and even then, just to have it spring back onto the new, wet paint!

So, would you go to the hassle and nasty visuals of cutting a strip all the way around the rooms to do the job properly?

Note teenage DC, no pets, so no issues with gripper bars!

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Fri 27-May-16 14:36:36

Can't you just fold it under?

pippistrelle Fri 27-May-16 14:40:33

Yes, go for it. I'm currently partially carpetless pending completion of painting. I sort of wish we'd kept the trashed old carpet until we are actually ready to replace it, and I really, really wish that your cutting a strip idea had occurred to me.

Draylon Fri 27-May-16 15:21:48

Stickn - possibly, and I did think about that, but I suspect a 3-4m length of old, stiff carpet would ping back out! I could put bricks along the fold, I guess, but I suspect that'd be as much hassle as just grabbing the Stanley knife? I would also worry about stubbed toes on bricks during night time WC visits!

pippistrelle next time! wink

firesidechat Fri 27-May-16 15:22:59

Just fold it back and weigh it down with something heavy. That's what I do.

firesidechat Fri 27-May-16 15:24:00

You can fold the carpet under rather than over and it's less likely to ping back.

Draylon Fri 27-May-16 15:26:58

I do have a pile of bricks so I guess I could experiment!

YouCannotPossiblyBeHungry Fri 27-May-16 15:27:50

I would also check with whoever is going to lay your new carpets that they are removing and disposing of the old ones. Every time I've had new carpets fitted they have asked for an empty room with old carpet and underlay removed .

tattychicken Fri 27-May-16 15:29:21

My decorators actually did this, for the same reasons. Hall, stairs and landing carpet was being replaced after the painting was finished. I'd not thought of it, but or didn't take them long to remove a strip from the carpet with a Stanley knife, and meant the children weren't thundering about on bare floorboards.

MrsBungle Fri 27-May-16 15:30:35

That's exactly what we did. Just cut all around and did the skirtings. Then we removed the carpet just before the new one was fitted. You do have to be careful of the exposed gripper though, I stood on that a couple of times!

firesidechat Fri 27-May-16 15:31:09

Good point, I have never had a carpet fitter remove and dispose of old carpet. They need a clean and empty floor.

YouCannotPossiblyBeHungry Fri 27-May-16 15:32:25

If you cut a strip of the old carpet you'll also have exposed gripper rods which are evil things when you are painting plus for catching toes and fingers on. But on the plus side you can paint right to the bottom of the skirting (new carpet/underlay may not be as deep as old one which leaves unpainted skirting visible).

Draylon Fri 27-May-16 17:13:18

Yes, good point about the grippers!

I must check they'll remove the old carpet! That'd be a fag!

wowfudge Fri 27-May-16 17:58:58

For the sake of a week, I'd just cut the whole carpet into strips and take it to the tip. Apart from anything else, you can make sure any dust, grit, etc is cleaned up before you start decorating and there's no risk of anything sticking to your nice new paintwork.

You will be charged for removal and disposal of the carpet if you leave it to the fitters. That's if they will even do that for you.

whois Fri 27-May-16 18:16:12

The usually will take up the carpet (for a fee) but not dispose of it because they aren't allowed to carry old and new carpets in the same van.

puggymummy1 Fri 27-May-16 18:41:36

I've done that. smile

nemno Fri 27-May-16 20:18:03

My decorator does this. With a sharp stanley knife it doesn't take long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now