Sick of living like this ...

(13 Posts)
cheekymummy89 Tue 24-May-16 21:04:58

I really don't know where to start ...
Me and my husband and our son live in a property which we rent of a family member. I'm currently pregnant and baby will arrive in around 8 weeks time. Now since we moved into this property we have had so many issues the main one being damp and mould in every room! Kitchen, living room, dining room and bedrooms .. surprising enough we don't have it in the bathroom!! I've told family member about these issues but all we get told to do is open windows and clean off the mould (windows are never closed btw) so every week I'm now fin ding myself bleaching these areas that are affected by mould. In the kitchen we have a certain cupboard that I have all my pots pans and trays in and I cannot believe how quickly mould grows on all these dishes I'm constantly soaking them in boiling water and then giving them all a good scrub! I shouldn't have to do this never in my life have I had an issue like this before. We don't want to fall out with this family member as we are really close but they just don't seem interested in this property. We have already mentioned that they need to get a professional to come look at it and treat it properly etc but they won't pay out for it... we have used damp traps but they don't seem to be helping me used a dehumidifier in our bedroom that's worked to a extent. We suggested ripping the kitchen out getting the damp treated and hubby would fit a new kitchen if they buy new cupboards etc to save money ... they won't so it. We're register with local housing but no joy as of yet and no sign of being offered anything for a while yet. I'm concerned as I'm abouts to have a newborn baby in this property and it's not exactly something I want him to brought back to especially as we keep getting mould. I really don't know what to do. We have ripped all wallpaper of walls in bedrooms to help dry the walls out but as it's not our property there is only so much we can and are willing to do.

Any advise?

Believeitornot Tue 24-May-16 21:44:58

Do you pay market rates?

If so I would move.

Do you have the heating on? Opening the windows might not be enough.

wowfudge Tue 24-May-16 21:45:50

Be firmer with the family member landlord. Would they live in their own house in those conditions? Unlikely. You cannot own a house and expect to spend nothing on maintenance. There is always something that needs doing. Write them a list of all the issues. A lot of damp issues are relatively easy to fix, but they don't fix themselves.

Or, given that you are paying them rent, why not pay a different private landlord rent instead?

readingrainbow Tue 24-May-16 22:15:51

I would move, asap. We were living in mouldy house - not nearly as bad as your experience - and it wore me down, stressed me out, and was just generally awful. The relief in leaving was immense. Find somewhere else to live; don't bring your baby home to mould.

whois Tue 24-May-16 23:12:50

Move if you can. Mould is such a nightmare to deal with.

cheekymummy89 Wed 25-May-16 07:56:19

We just about have enough income to pay our rent council tax and bills. We don't have a penny spare to put towards moving. I'm wondering if my mw would be able to help if I mention it at my next appointment

wowfudge Wed 25-May-16 08:03:43

Environmental health at the council will be more use, but if you approach anyone without having had a serious talk with your landlord then there could be a falling out.

Can you and your partner identify what seems to be causing the damp and ask the relative to specifically fix the issues?

Saying they need a professional to come out has got them running for the hills thinking it's going to cost £1000s to fix when it isn't necessarily. You do not need a damp proofing firm to have a look, you are more likely to need a builder.

Ginmakesitallok Wed 25-May-16 08:08:41

What do you think your Mw will do? (Serious question, not being goady!)

cheekymummy89 Wed 25-May-16 08:56:34

Thanks for the replies we have had a look at the affected areas and we can't seem to point out where it's coming from. The property had new windows 2 years ago and we did think it could be from them maybe not fitted properly as we have found if we have the window closed for just one day in any of the rooms they get full of condensation which then needs wiping down. As for the kitchen we really don't know as the cupboards are attached to the back wall and we can't see the wall

namechangedtoday15 Wed 25-May-16 09:11:01

Do you dry washing in the house? Do you use an extractor fan when you cook? Condensation especially is a result of moisture in the house. You will always have some, but you can do lots of things to improve things.

FWIW, we had an issue with mould in one bedroom some time ago and a spray was recommended on MN, this is the link. HG spray You have to clean it thoroughly and then you use this spray. It's never come back. I'd check the details about how safe it is to use when you're pregnant etc, but its worth considering.

Believeitornot Wed 25-May-16 09:12:18

Are you putting the heating on and opening windows? You need to do that for a short period a day. Even 20 mins in the morning is enough.

Also don't dry washing inside the house if you can help it.

Get a dehumidifier.

When cooking - put the lids on saucepans to keep the steam in and open the windows.

wowfudge Wed 25-May-16 09:30:02

The windows should have trickle vents if fitted that recently. Make sure they are open for ventilation. Pull all the furniture away from the walls so it isn't touching them - it helps with air circulation.

SquinkiesRule Wed 25-May-16 16:36:36

Have the vent bricks been blocked up by dirt against the house or gravel outside or plastered over inside.
I go and get yourself on the housing list for the local council houses. Mould shouldn't be growing that fast onto pots and pans, if the house is aired and windows open daily. Somethings wrong with the place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now