Where have people priced out of Hackney/Walthamstow/Leytonstone moved to?

(39 Posts)
alazuli Sun 22-May-16 16:41:37

Currently looking to buy a place in east London. I feel like Leyton might still be just affordable but what other areas that are still up-and-coming have people moved to now that Hackney, Walthamstow and Leytonstone are so pricey?

There seems to be loads of properties in East Ham, Plaistow and Upton Park but they just seem so grim. sad

saskdilemma Sun 22-May-16 16:46:15

Seven kings/Newbury park? The houses are actually really good quality and prices aren't bad.

EllenTheEgret Sun 22-May-16 18:35:29

Forest gate? Although the nicer bits are just as expensive as Leyton, tbh. Maybe Manor Park (bits near the flats).

There is a lot going on in Leyton at the moment and I think it will get significantly more expensive in the next few years, so potentially a very good investment. That doesn't help much if you can't afford to buy there now though, of course.

What is your price limit and how many beds etc are you looking for? Do you need to be near a tube station?

EllenTheEgret Sun 22-May-16 18:50:29

Also - Highams Park. Quieter and more suburban than the other places you've mentioned but lots of people seem to love it.

sellotape12 Sun 22-May-16 19:08:47

I feel your pain OP
:-(

sellotape12 Sun 22-May-16 19:43:23

Also the other thing with Forest Gate is that often the sellers want that buyers to pay the agent fee! It's all a bit fishy.
Don't give up on Leyton and Leytonstone. My friend finally got in there after a 6 month battle because actually, a lot of chains have been falling through due to the Spring bubble. They flyered the area in December and have just exchanged. Hold on, fight and you never know..

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Sun 22-May-16 19:46:15

We had exactly the same problem. We live in highams park now and love it. On reflection so glad we moved here rather than where we were looking before.

Tollygunge Sun 22-May-16 19:47:23

Chingford or I think Romford because of cross rail. Also, Harold wood

alazuli Sun 22-May-16 19:48:48

EllenTheEgret - I have the tiniest budget ever as I am buying on my own. Around £220, a 1 bed if possible. Tube station would be great but I'm guessing I'm limited by the price range.

sellotape12 - That's good to hear! I've not given up on Leytonstone yet. I'm actually thinking of flyering too (things are getting desperate). Fingers crossed for both of us! I have noticed a lot of asking prices being slashed on Rightmove recently but not for anything in the areas I'm looking at. Grr...

alazuli Sun 22-May-16 19:49:56

Oooh, chains falling apart. Interesting. Maybe people are pulling out because there's been a slowdown recently...?

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Sun 22-May-16 20:14:14

Wanstead?

alazuli Sun 22-May-16 20:16:23

Wanstead is gorgeous but I have a feeling it's even more expensive than Walthamstow because it's so pretty around there

HopefulHamster Sun 22-May-16 20:21:22

Hertfordshire... Joking/not joking, it all depends on which places have fast trains etc

skippy67 Sun 22-May-16 20:40:35

I moved south of the river to Catford, then on to Bromley.

TheTartOfAsgard Sun 22-May-16 20:47:22

I grew up in custom house - not lived there for donkeys years but it was a niceish area. It's about 15 mins to Stratford on the dlr, and once you're at Stratford station you have the whole of London within commuting distance.

I'd avoid upton park/Plaistow/forest gate as they were rough areas even back then.

alazuli Sun 22-May-16 21:40:58

TheTartOfAsgard - Ooo Custom House. Not considered there. Forest Gate seemed quite rough the one time I went there.

skippy67 - Seems like there are a lot of properties in Catford.

EllenTheEgret Sun 22-May-16 22:01:05

I think that if you're willing to live in a small block of flats, rather than a period conversion type thing, then you might just be OK in one of your preferred areas.

Have you seen this one? Might be to small for you to consider but its on a nice leafy road, and easy walking distance to the tube & Leyton & Leytonstone high streets.

I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it: www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/56688239

alazuli Sun 22-May-16 22:04:31

EllenTheEgret - yes, I actually went to view that one. It's gorgeous inside but it's on a busy road with a bus stop opposite - and the bedroom is at the front of the flat.

I guess with London there will always be a bit of noise but I think it would be too noisy for me (I love my sleep). I think that's why it's still on the market.

Although maybe I should stop being so damn picky on my budget! smile

alazuli Sun 22-May-16 22:05:12

Oh, and I totally don't mind living in a block of flats. I'm not fussy about the outside. It's what's inside that counts!

EllenTheEgret Sun 22-May-16 22:12:16

Ah, fair enough. I guess there's always a reason why something is (relatively!) cheap.

alazuli Sun 22-May-16 22:15:19

Definitely! I was really tempted though. It was so nicely refurbished and v close to the station but you'd basically be sleeping metres away from traffic.

Smittenkitten2015 Sun 22-May-16 22:19:53

Lots of ex-Londoners are pricing me out of moving to a nicer house where I live in Herts. Not that I'm bitter wink

sellotape12 Sun 22-May-16 22:27:14

It's rubbish all round.
Can you go into each estate agent's office and get your face in front of them? Imo by the time flats are on zoopla and RightMove they're already gone...

getlostdailyfail Sun 22-May-16 22:32:29

Would you consider shared ownership? If so, these are worth looking at. They are in an absolutely gorgeous area, overlooking QEOP, and transport links are fantastic!

getlostdailyfail Sun 22-May-16 22:32:48

Sorry forgot to place a link

www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/buying/first-sharedownership-homes-launch-at-queen-elizabeth-olympic-park-in-stratford-a99356.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now