Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about Forest Hill?

(10 Posts)
Nickname1980 Sun 22-May-16 11:10:39

So I am very confused and keep looking at new neighbourhoods as mine has become pricey. I love mine though so just battling whether or not to stay.

People keep talking about two places and Forest Hill is one of them. It seems to have good schools so I'm suddenly interested. Apart from a trip to the Horniman, I've never explored though.

What's it like to live there? What's the demographic like? The houses on Rightmove almost look too good to be true...

whois Sun 22-May-16 11:40:17

Forest hill? Thought that had up and come years ago. Where do you live now?

Nickname1980 Sun 22-May-16 11:44:42

Hackney, whois, so we can trade in and afford a lovely house with a garden in Forest Hill!

PlasticPinkFlamingo Sun 22-May-16 17:34:24

Despite the South Circular, there's loads of green space nearby including Horniman Gardens & Triangle, Sydenham Woods, One Tree Hill, Dulwich Park, Peckham Rye Park, Mayow Park, etc.

Definitely more suburban than Hackney. Full of kids. The demographic is changing, with loads of young families moving in. So be careful where you move as you can find yourself out of the catchment of all local schools near you.

There's some decent restaurants, pubs, coffee shops but Hackney it is not. East Dulwich, Peckham and Crystal Palace are nearby if you want more variety.

Fantastic views if you're on the Horniman side of Forest Hill.

We moved to Forest Hill after previously living in various bits of Hackney and Brixton. It's the best place we've ever lived in London. The neighbours are friendly and the local kids can play out in the street.

KindDogsTail Sun 22-May-16 17:36:23

One part near the Horniman museum is very nice.

It has a top quality Montessorri school.

sleeplessinselondon Sun 22-May-16 17:44:11

We've been here for 6 years and have two DCs (5 & 2). Prices are insane however if you can afford it it's a fabulous place for families if that's what you're looking for. If you look on the other side of the station from the horniman I think you're better placed for schools, primaries all good, - so roads running down from the south circular to Woolstone road you could be looking at Kilmorie, Dalmain and Rathfern.

The high street is a bit grim due to the south circ, however there are some great shops there, Bunka for gifts, Stag & Bow haberdashers, great butchers, couple of Delis, sweet shop etc. There's also the pools and gym. A few good pubs and restaurants have opened in the last couple of years, the Perry vale is lovely, the signal, railway telegraph and sylvan post all have good food.

As pp says lots of green spaces and parks and if you've got kids the horniman is a lifesaver on many occasions!

Depends what you're looking for but despite being in a 2 bed flat we love it here and just hoping we can trade up one day!

sellotape12 Sun 22-May-16 19:12:03

Hi
We have been looking in Forest Hill and i would say, be careful at the moment. Agents are pushing up prices and making you think there's nothing out there, but the chains are frequently collapsing as many realise that the place they've offered on simply ain't worth it.

Saw a place y'day that needs 80k of work. The vendor had it for sale just 6 months ago (didn't sell) and now he wants £100k more. Don't do t people!

We are in a bubble, imo

Nickname1980 Sun 22-May-16 22:38:09

Ooh good to hear, plastic! I'm just dreaming of good schools and greenery with - still - a London vibe.

I didn't realise it'd be so different by the high street as opposed to by the Horniman. What's the sort of best spot?

Yes the market is confusing me terribly right now, sellotape. Our place has been valued but we haven't listed it yet because I just don't know where to go or what on earth is happening. Suspect I'm not the only one! I'm hoping the bubble will pop, but then will a re-mortgage be harder to find? Wish I was in a place I could stay in a bit longer already and didn't have to worry about it!

whois Mon 23-May-16 10:14:45

My sister lives in Forest Hill. Its nice and green and can have amazing views. Decent transport links.

If you have kids and are moving for schools - then check catchment areas carefully as they are getting ever smaller.

ClaudetteWyms Mon 23-May-16 15:25:28

The South Circular trundles through it, the traffic is pretty bad, but it has great schools (yes, do check catchments, some roads are near lots of schools but not near enough to any of them iykwim) and lovely houses for a lot less than surrounding areas.

I do think it has up and come as much as it can though, prices have got a silly of late and some vendors are "testing the market".

Lots of families have moved in, parks are a lot fuller than they were 10 years ago! Lots of green spaces, good transport links.

If you can afford it then I say go for it - but proceed with caution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now