Advanced search

Cast iron sink...anyone got one/seen one/know where to buy one?

(7 Posts)
linspins Fri 20-May-16 16:19:27

I really like the look of ceramic sinks, but know they are not practical for me, because I'd break mugs all the time on it, and probably chip the sink in the process!
I've got a composite sink ( Silgranit) and it instead I think stainless steel is best.
We are having a new kitchen in the house we are buying, and I wondered about cast iron. They look like ceramic, but are tough. A company called Kohler sells them, but only under mounted ones. I've seen vintage ones like this with a draining board..
But can't find anywhere that sells new ones, with a single sink and draining board. Can anyone help? Is it just an American thing? Shall I switch my idea back to stainless steel?

wonkylegs Fri 20-May-16 16:30:04

Article about them here

wonkylegs Fri 20-May-16 16:30:14

Sorry here

linspins Fri 20-May-16 16:36:47

Oh boo! wonky legs I got all excited then, thinking the article was going to link me to a cast iron one, but noooooo!
I don't think they exist any more. sad

wowfudge Fri 20-May-16 16:54:45

Cast iron is extremely heavy so whatever you set it into/onto is likely to need reinforcing plus if you were to drop something heavy onto the sink it, it could break the actual sink. I'd go with plainstainless steel myself - just easier all round. Though not white.

wonkylegs Fri 20-May-16 20:35:18

Sorry I didn't look at it in detail,
These guys seem to have undermount and inset ones

Afishcalledchips Fri 20-May-16 22:36:22

Not the same obviously, but lots of places sell stainless steel Belfast sinks. IKEA have them for about £150-£200

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now