Talk

Advanced search

What's better - one 450mm pull out larder or two 300mm ones?

(13 Posts)
TheKingAndI Wed 18-May-16 20:28:48

Trying to plan a kitchen and with a bit of rejigging I think I could just about have either a tall 450mm larder next to the fridge or two 300mm ones either side. I'm trying to work out whether one larger unit is more useful as you can fit bigger stuff in there, or whether it would just get too heavy anyway and so a couple of narrower ones might be better (but then you can't fit the bigger packets in)? I've never had one of these units so I have no idea what would be best so advice gratefully received.

concertplayer Wed 18-May-16 21:08:10

We have a 450 and it became a cupboard for ironing board, buckets
and other unsightly things! With the 450 I suppose the possibility to
alter it later is always there eg put a shelf in to divide it ?
300 x2 is 600 so potentially more room : it is just how you decide to
use?
This is a chance to stand back and really think where you put things
now and how you will change things with the new layout.
Lucky you Great chance to declutter as well

TheKingAndI Wed 18-May-16 21:11:57

Thank you, it seems such a ridiculous question but I keep going round in circles. One kitchen designer wants to do the 450 and another one wants me to have two 300s, but this would mean altering the position of an internal wall (making the kitchen slightly smaller and the utility slightly bigger). I'll keep pondering!

SwedishEdith Wed 18-May-16 21:18:43

I'd do 600

kansasmum Wed 18-May-16 21:27:56

I have 300 and wish I'd gone for wider. I'd go bigger.

RaisingSteam Wed 18-May-16 21:37:16

I would say neither but a multi-drawer larder like this. You can get loads in the drawers, tweak the spacing of them so you have tall and short gaps, and pull them out one at a time to access it all from above.
Depending on your height you get to a point where you need to switch to shelves where you can put bigger lightweight things.
I like having one large larder, it's easier for putting away shopping or getting things out for meals.

TheKingAndI Wed 18-May-16 21:41:53

Thanks everyone, most helpful. RaisingSteam - great idea, what width is that one?

SwedishEdith Thu 19-May-16 00:42:09

We've got one of those - that's what I had in mind about 600.

123rd Thu 19-May-16 00:58:35

I went for two 300 pull out units. Due to other people I know having 1 600 unit and they over loaded it. Always had problems with it"dropping" also, our 2 larders are ether side of the ovens so it frames it well.
Glad I went for two 300. Units. Easy to find things too

Eastpoint Thu 19-May-16 06:53:13

I have something similar to the unit shown by RaisingSteam. It's really useful and contains all our dried goods (we live in London so don't need vast stores).

RaisingSteam Thu 19-May-16 08:51:16

No idea what width is the photographed one but they definitely come in 400 and 500, they use the same components as drawer units. 450 would be feasible I expect.

concertplayer Thu 19-May-16 13:46:39

Another thought for kitchen general info: we have just bought a new f/f
with the fridge at the top. It is just great as you do not have to bend down
often. get anything eye level that you can
Rsteam idea seems good as the drawers do not look too heavy
Also could easily be replaced if break/age etc?

TheKingAndI Thu 19-May-16 17:19:59

Cheers everyone. Going for 450 I reckon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now