Talk

Advanced search

Talk me out of this

(57 Posts)
NarcyCow Wed 18-May-16 09:06:36

www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/collon/main-street-collon-louth-608221/

We've loved this for years. It's been on the market on and off for years. It's been POA every time but we've gone sale agreed on our own house and I rang for the price yesterday just out of nosiness and realised that we could actually stretch to it.

PLEASE tell me all the expensive things that we'd have to do to it so I can accept that it's a silly idea and buy a little straightforward 20th century box instead.

Florinda2016 Wed 18-May-16 09:21:13

Buy it. It's meant to be!

FishWithABicycle Wed 18-May-16 09:25:56

Buy it! It's lovely.
Yes you will probably need to spend 10 grand on a new roof within 5 years, and 5 grand on sorting out wet rot or dry rot or somesuch.
That shouldn't stop you.

Looly71 Wed 18-May-16 09:27:28

I love it. It's calling you I think.

BillyGoatGruff007 Wed 18-May-16 09:27:56

Agreed. A fab house and, well, just wow !
If you're young enough and have the time, go for it.

whois Wed 18-May-16 09:29:22

Get it! Its ace!

whois Wed 18-May-16 09:30:01

If you have the money, time and inclination you could do something truly stunning with that property.

WhispersOfWickedness Wed 18-May-16 09:31:26

Do it! I bet it could be amazing. Have you actually been to view it yet though? Do you know why it's been on and off the market?

InTheSandPit Wed 18-May-16 09:32:38

If you can stretch to it, can you afford the renovation?
Go and look at it, and see if you canfind out why been on and off the market.
One of those two may put you off it.
It looks like it could be amazing.

LizzieMacQueen Wed 18-May-16 09:33:40

It looks like someone has tried to do it up but failed. I'd want to know why (and yes, whispers, why has it been on and off the market over the years).

NarcyCow Wed 18-May-16 09:38:54

It's the renovation costs I'm trying to get my head around. We don't know anyone who's lived in anything of that vintage so I don't know anything about it.

We haven't viewed it yet. I'd have an awful lot of questions for the estate agent.

NetballHoop Wed 18-May-16 09:43:17

I love the bannisters!

It looks in MUCH better nick than our house was when we bought it. Why are the fireplaces boarded up?

If I were you I'd buy it, you know you'll regret it if you don't.

Marymaymay Wed 18-May-16 10:00:03

It's beautiful and I would go for it.

Just one thing - I grew up in a Georgian house with about an acre of land. All I remember is my mum pretty much constantly sanding and repainting windows, getting bits of damp fixed, stressing about the land etc etc. My mum is a bit of a stress head though and likes things to look pretty perfect.

If you have the time and energy to not just do the place up but to keep up with the repairs and wear and tear then it will be great. If not, you'd have to be happy to either pay others to do this for you or to let things slide a bit. Problem is with a Georgian place, if you let it slide, things start mounting up and having a knock on effect.

I'd still go for it though smile

whattodoforthebest2 Wed 18-May-16 10:20:22

Beautiful house - all the period features look lovely. It'll be draughty and cold until you get insulation sorted out, but imagine the possibilities... And you could have an income from the apartment... And a stunning garden...

Being nosey tho' - how much is it on for?

whattodoforthebest2 Wed 18-May-16 10:21:15

20th century boxes are no fun wink

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 18-May-16 10:23:22

Very attractive house. At least make some enquiries.

derxa Wed 18-May-16 10:29:26

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

GrubbyWindows Wed 18-May-16 10:33:08

Go and see it!!! You can't possibly know until you have!
Then- find out why it's been on and off the market
- visit with a builder to suck teeth
- get a really good survey
- buy it anyway

I'd be mentally moving in already. It's gorge.

JZ20 Wed 18-May-16 10:36:20

Its a beautiful house! And meant to be by the sounds of things.

The only reason I wouldn't buy it would be depending on how old you are and at what stage of life you are at. If you are looking to turn that into a wonderful family home then go for it, but if you are on the way to retirement then STEP AWAY! The work that will need doing to that house will be endless for years and years unless you have a large pot of money - then it will be fabulous.

I agree with Mary. Period properties are for people who have spare cash. If you don't then they will look run down pretty quick - unlike a newer house.

Nothing wrong with a newer build either you snobby lot!

dollylucy Wed 18-May-16 10:38:43

No.
Buy it
It says minor renovation
I think you're talking new kitchen and bathrooms. Not necessarily new roof/building work.

I think it looks very liveable.

Put in a lower offer, see what happens

Get a survey done.

Ginseng1 Wed 18-May-16 10:41:49

If I was looking to buy in a town/village this is what I'd love! Just get surveyor in & be aware of all the 'to dos' (main one I'd say is making it warm & heat efficient). It's definitely a project so you'd have to be into that or else have money to pay a contractor to it all in one go. But it doesn't look as bad as some doer uppers you see!

ThatsMyStapler Wed 18-May-16 10:48:58

oh i love it!

NarcyCow Wed 18-May-16 10:54:12

It's on at €295,000. They've had a lower offer and refused it. The estate agent reckons it needs €100,000 spent on it to make it liveable in, which sounds very OTT to me, looking at the photos - but I haven't a clue, really.

We could probably throw about €10,000 a year at doing stuff to it. Does that sound doable?

NarcyCow Wed 18-May-16 10:55:21

Oh, and we're heading for 40 with two smallies, so definitely not near retirement!

mogloveseggs Wed 18-May-16 10:56:13

It's gorgeous! I think it's meant to be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now