Talk

Advanced search

Microwave in pantry?

(15 Posts)
mummmypirate Mon 16-May-16 22:29:10

In midst of kitchen planning and continually tripping up over where to put my freestanding microwave. Would love to bin it were it not for warm milk, porridge and popcorn requirements. Don't want to go integrated so wondering about putting socket in back of my full height, double width larder cupboard and hiding in there, leaving doors open during occasional use. Might still fall foul of ventilation requirements though. Has anyone done this successfully? Can find loads of American examples online but not so many from closer to home. Or can anyone recommend a very compact microwave?!

Jeffjefftyjeff Mon 16-May-16 22:37:54

My dad has this. Not sure if he checked ventilation but is very occasional use. Has no room in front/ to the side to rest things eg if you need to stir things midway through. So a bit annoying. But otherwise has been fine.

SwedishEdith Mon 16-May-16 22:41:24

We had this. It was fine (if a bit annoying).

poochiepants Mon 16-May-16 22:51:39

We did that and it was fine. Just check that there's enough space around according to the installation instructions.

lalalonglegs Mon 16-May-16 23:12:35

I've done this too - just make sure that you keep the cupboard door open during use otherwise you get condensation running down the inside of the door.

mummmypirate Tue 17-May-16 02:11:48

Thanks guys. Good to know it's a realistic option. My quest for clear worktops is driving me a little crazy.

MattDillonsPants Tue 17-May-16 02:18:59

Just ditch it. We had no microwave for years until MIL got us one for some reason.

Mik in a pan, popcorn the same (I only ever cook mine in a pan with butter and a lid) and porrige in a pan too.

Rubymay Tue 17-May-16 02:40:55

We have ours in the utility... with the washing machine etc, perfect place for it!!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 17-May-16 11:19:33

Should be fine if it is not a microwave/oven combination?

We've put ours on a shelf in the corner of the kitchen but it's a combination so enclosing it is not an option.

You don't have to buy an integrated model, just split one of the cupboards into two and put a small door on the part overhead?

DreamingofItaly Tue 17-May-16 17:24:07

I have my microwave in my pantry. It's great to have it out of the way and as long as there's a space on top/behind it for the air to circulate as there would be on any other surface you're fine.

I do love my pantry!

redhat Tue 17-May-16 17:27:15

Yep we have it too. I have a full height double door larder set up with drawers at the bottom, a double door cupboard in the middle and a double door cupboard at the top. We have the microwave in the middle section with a double socket in the back of the cupboard to plug it in. We keep the doors open when using it. No issues whatsoever.

The toaster and food mixer also live in a similar cupboard.

Kettle is a stove top one so no cables.

I have nothing on my worktops apart from flowers. Love it.

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 17-May-16 20:17:06

As long as only a microwave - not a grill or oven too - and as long as you adhere to the circulation around it as required in the instructions and keep the pantry doors open when it's on it should be fine !

mummmypirate Wed 18-May-16 14:31:14

So helpful everyone, thank you. Redhat it sounds like you have achieved exactly what I'm aiming for!

Secretsout Wed 18-May-16 18:32:36

Thanks for the thread mummy. We're just about to have our new kitchen fitted and we are doing exactly the same so I'm glad to hear it will be fine. I'm also putting a coffee machine and bread maker in mine - though I'll take the BM out when it's on.

redhat Wed 18-May-16 18:56:58

OnePlan was very helpful in planning mine. She's a fantastic kitchen designer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now