Talk

Advanced search

Adding a second floor to a bungalow

(4 Posts)
TheVeryHungryPreggo Sat 14-May-16 08:42:49

After a long time we finally appear to be moving forward with our plans to move out of London. We have had an offer accepted on a 3-bed bungalow, it has two bedrooms downstairs and one small double bedroom on top which has a mostly sloping ceiling. The house has a big footprint underneath as the lounge and kitchen are quite large. We'd like to just go straight up, have three proper bedrooms (for us, DS and DD) with one ensuite and a family bathroom upstairs, then we could use the downstairs rooms for a study/office and a guest bedroom. There's already a staircase but it would need to be widened and repositioned.

The other houses on the road have all been converted into two-storey houses in the last 30 years, this is the last remaining and looks a bit out of place.

Has anyone done something like this? How much do you think it would cost and how long would it take? Assuming we move in and buy the house in July, DH would like to be starting the building work this time next year to finish up by the end of summer - is that realistic?

Hobbes8 Sat 14-May-16 21:48:33

There was a house near me that did this and it was featured on a Sarah Beany show. It's the Sussex Coast one;
www.channel4.com/programmes/double-your-house-for-half-the-money/episode-guide/series-3/

I drive past it and it's a bit boxy from the outside but looks lovely in the show. Also they keep going on about maximising the sea views but it overlooks a pub car park. Still, it might be helpful info!

PigletJohn Sat 14-May-16 22:49:16

Depends how old it is, and where. Older bungalows may have very notional foundations that will not take the weight of an extra storey. Since I suppose the 1980's or thereabouts even single-storey extensions have to have proper foundations. A local architect or builder would know. Rules and dates vary between Greater London, other cities, and rural areas.

TheVeryHungryPreggo Sun 15-May-16 08:26:02

Thanks, that's helpful. It's in Bromley. It was originally quite a small cottage built about 1930. I know the current owner has gone as far as having plans drawn up by their architect (but obviously what we want would look quite different) and has already built an extension to the ground floor and put in the attic bedroom in the last ten years, so I think the foundations are likely to be in good nick - though obviously without X-Ray vision and building expertise I can't know for sure.

I'll have a look at that episode, thanks for the link!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now