Advanced search

Neighbour blocked my drain

(17 Posts)
SocialDisaster Fri 13-May-16 18:42:26

They blocked the drains a few weeks ago and I just realised they didn't clear behind. They just made sure they had clean drains for themselves. They left shit in the drain across their property so stopped my drain clearing. I had to clear the lot. I knocked I the door and they didn't help and found it funny. I am sore and furious. What can I do about it? Nothing I guess.

Moving15 Fri 13-May-16 20:15:37

If the drain is shared I don't think you are responsible for clearing it. Call your water board!

Longdistance Fri 13-May-16 20:18:17

Dump the shit on their doorstep grin

DancingLadyEmoji Fri 13-May-16 20:25:46

Similar problem / attitude from my neighbour a few years back. Their drain was leaking toilet waste (ick!) into our garden. When we let them know they said "well, we've not had any problems" angry Dynorod came round & blocked the drain so their waste then leaked into their garden. They magically sorted it out then.
Hugs, OP. I feel your pain & hope you get it sorted x

SocialDisaster Fri 13-May-16 20:43:06

I cleaned it so no shit to dump. I wrote a shitty note after dealing with the shit they caused me. I told them it was their responsibility to clear the drain on their land not leave it for me and back up my drain (Says on deeds) and laugh at me. Five fucking adults, two builders, two women and a man. Fuckers. I am a disabled woman and they left it for me. I told them next time I will bill them the dynorod bill to clear their drain. I said I am not impressed at all. The Man who owns the house wasn't in, I don't think he will be happy at the others. He knocked on my door expecting me to help when his drain blocked, he had three men helping him and wanted me too when it was his drain. I lent him my hose. The wife and other couple live there did nothing today.

I am so sore from dealing with it.

PigletJohn Fri 13-May-16 23:22:27

It might count as committing a nuisance. You could try your local council who might serve some kind of enforcement notice.

Ownership and responsibility varied depending if the waste flows from your land towards theirs then onward to the sewers in a shared drain; or if it flows from their land towards yours, or if each of you have your own drain that flows to the sewer without joining up with the neighbour's.

SocialDisaster Fri 13-May-16 23:24:42

The drain goes from my house to theirs and then onwards to other houses before reaching the sewer.

PigletJohn Fri 13-May-16 23:25:43

Are you the first house on the drain? No other houses flow into your land?

PigletJohn Fri 13-May-16 23:27:48

If in England and Wales:

SocialDisaster Fri 13-May-16 23:29:34

I am the first yes nobody has a drain before me and my drain flows past next door then onwards.

SocialDisaster Fri 13-May-16 23:33:59

So he was responsible for clearing outside his home upto my boundary and didn't clear it. He cleared only going forward for him, so he was alright jack and made me backup.

PigletJohn Fri 13-May-16 23:35:46

Then a blockage on your land is your responsibility, but a blockage in that part of the drain on their land is the responsibility of your local waste water company. See pink in the diagrams.

I've always found them co-operative and obliging if the local people in the van can deal with it. I suppose if it needed digging up and relaying, the cost would be significant so the company would be obliged to carry the cost only of their own part,

SocialDisaster Fri 13-May-16 23:40:24

Ok so do I or next door contact the water company? The shared drain on their land is covered by their double drive. Why does it need digging up?confused

PigletJohn Fri 13-May-16 23:43:54

If still blocked, you could call the water co and say that (you think) there is a blockage in the shared drain on your neighbours land that is causing yours to back up. Probably they will lift some "manhole covers" to have a look, and if it seems to match your belief, will probably poke them to try to clear it.

It would only need digging up if the drains were broken, for example if very old, suffered from subsidence or war damage, or had heavy lorries driven over them.

SocialDisaster Fri 13-May-16 23:45:06

The drains are small. I have the rods as I had a few blockages in my drain. I am annoyed as their blockage caused mine and it was a huge amount of work. Six times the job of a block of my drain. If they cleared their blockage properly they wouldn't have troubled me. They annoyed me too laughing at me like that.

CodyKing Fri 13-May-16 23:45:43

Contact the council - they are people who deal with this - they also sort out who's responsible for payment

We were 5 houses - each equally paid towards drain - but one house had to pay to clear the roots causing the problem.

They send out letters and their trades men are fixed price - if you pay council tax - even benefit claimants all have a right to use the council for this type of thing

SocialDisaster Fri 13-May-16 23:47:48

My drain was broken in the cc tv thing when I bought so it was fixed which made it narrowed, hence it blocks.

Could I ask the water company to check if the other parts belonging to the others are broken?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now