Talk

Advanced search

Shall I stay in Ealing or move to Carshalton/Cheam/Sutton area?

(11 Posts)
karmi2010 Fri 13-May-16 14:27:13

I have a house in Ealing, which I bought previously as a first property, with the intention to then sell and buy something a bit nicer in Ealing. Now the house prices gone mad and I am unlikely to be able to afford something else (which would be better) in Ealing ((

The house is quite big (enough for us now and with the potential to convert garage and/or extend kitchen to the rear if needed) but it has a small garden (and if we extend, the garden will be tiny, more like a courtyard) and it is a modern-build, not particularly nice looking end of terrace. At the same time, it is in good location in Ealing, and will be very close to Crossrail when it arrives (which will make my commute to work 20mins shorter).

I always wanted a nice period house with a large garden. I am now thinking of selling the Ealing house and buying something in Carshalton/Cheam/Sutton area - my friends live there and I quite like the area, although it does feel quite out of London/villagey to me....

What do people think? Is it a good idea to move further out for a nicer house, or shall I stay more central, in [presumably] slightly better area?

Mummyme87 Fri 13-May-16 14:37:00

I am moving to Sutton (hopefully), it has some of the best schools in the uk. It's on a direct train line to London. Lots of parks in Sutton and cheam, nice areas. Wouldn't call them villagey

TheSunHasGotItsHatOn Fri 13-May-16 14:37:18

I am from Cheam Village, it is a very quite and well kept area. Some parts of Carshalton is a bit dodgy up by the hospital but the houses there are cheaper.

MarthasHarbour Fri 13-May-16 14:40:50

I lived in Sutton over 10 years ago and whilst my knowledge is out of date I loved it. Excellent schools, good Thameslink service to London, and lots of good pubs, shops and restaurants. Banstead is lovely too but granted not as good links to the city

smile

DameXanaduBramble Fri 13-May-16 14:52:16

Sutton isn't villagey, Cheam is more so but then it's Surrey really. (Carshalton and Sutton are too really but that's an argument for another day!) it just depends on how close you want to be to London, I love Ealing but it does have a very different feel to Sutton. I don't like Sutton at all, sorry to any suttonians, same with carshalton, I could live in Cheam easily though.

whois Fri 13-May-16 16:04:29

I'd wait until x rail is open, there is still a bit of x rail value not fully priced in.

karmi2010 Fri 13-May-16 18:40:30

Thanks a lot for your opinions, everyone! I really appreciate them!
May be I do need to wait a bit until crossrail comes, and then get more money and move to something really nice in Carshalton/Cheam area...

goodnightmush Fri 13-May-16 19:03:29

Come to Carshalton Beeches! We moved here last year, from a tiny flat in Crouch End to a four bed house with big garden. The schools are great at primary and secondary, plus there are grammar schools. It's obviously much more suburban than somewhere in Zone 2/3 but we're just starting to have some nice little indie cafes opening up so I have high hopes that it will become an even nicer place to live over the next few years. House prices have already gone up a good amount but you can still find lovely sized houses near good schools and people are generally very friendly. Good luck whatever you decide x

user1464350004 Sat 26-Nov-16 22:40:36

I am looking to move to Cheam in December and I so use to a busy environment but looking forward to embracing a more mellow scene.
I have a 6yr old boy who loves music and being active. Can anyone suggest good primary schools near Cheam station.?

drinkingchanelno5 Sun 27-Nov-16 11:35:36

I disagree with Whois, I think all X rail price increases are already realised in Ealing so there is no more value to add. I would be interested to know how quickly properties are actually selling in Ealing, certainly estate agents are all doom and gloom and I think they are starting to bring about the price dip they are so worried about by undervaluing property for a quick sale. Will be interested to see what you decide OP!

drinkingchanelno5 Sun 27-Nov-16 11:36:44

Oh, just realised this is a zombie thread! Well if you ever see this OP do update with what you decided!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now